3.13.2008

The Stars at Night/Are Big and Bright/Deep in the Heart of Texas

{Sorry--soooo photo heavy--I just couldn't edit very well, knowing that this is the only journal I keep.}

Friday

Just a little story I want to remember: On the way to the airport on Friday morning, I reached to my neck and realized I had left my heart necklace at home. I wear it every day, and in the early morning rush, forgot to put it on. My heart sank. Vince offered to drive me home to get it, but that would have been crazy since we had a plane to catch. Still, I was so bummed. And then Vince said something that truly made it all better: "Well, at least you know where it is." (A reference to one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies, Harold and Maude, where Maude throws Harold's gift into the ocean, so "[she'll] always know where it is".) And I smiled and everything was better.

Viv was a rockstar on the plane. Thank you, baby!

A perfect induction to the Cloud Watching Society, I see an alligator:

We ate a late lunch/early dinner at the Ironworks. Yum, my first Texas bbq. Chopped beef. Rolls of paper towel on each table. Sit on the river. Bring it, Texas! I'm loving you already!


A walk up 6th Street. Lots of divey bars and music venues that I would probably love, but not on this trip. Crazy loud birds making all sorts of noises.


My first taste of the most delicious food ever. And I say food, even though it's ice cream. I could make a meal out of this magical deliciousness. If you didn't have a reason to come to Austin before, now you do. Go to Amy's. I had Mexican Vanilla with pecans and chocolate chunks mixed in. Mmmmmmmmm.


Saturday


Oh, baby! A sunny, bright and very
fresh morning out. Picked up coffee at Jo's. Lovely.

Drove to Fliphappy Crepes for brunch. Another reason to come to Austin, in case ice cream isn't your thing, but crepes are. And just so you know, these are not just any crepe. They're served from an Airstream trailer. There are picnic tables and lawn chairs and little tables under trees and canopies. There are so many yummy options. Great people watching.




Drove to Zilker Park. Another reason to get yourself to Austin. Fed Vivian by Barton Hot Springs. Went walking through Zilker Botanical Gardens. People were flying kites and jogging with babies and dogs by the river. Would love to live by this massive piece of parkland.




Rested at hotel with Viv while Vince went to some SXSW sessions.

Went to Central Market on the advice of my friend Jen, who almost went to grad school in Austin. Bought some apples to balance out all this chopped beef and ice cream. Very enjoyable grocery store to browse.

Went to Rudy's BBQ for dinner. Mmmmmmmm. Chopped beef again (I'm LOVIN' this stuff!) and creamed corn.


Sunday


Happy 7 month birthday, Miss Viv!

Starlite for Viv's birthday brunch. Vince had a plate filled with Texas goodies: grits, overeasy egg, tater tots, bacon, housemade sausage, mini blueberry pancakes. He's talked about this breakfast since he had it in Austin last year.

Amy's ice cream stop. You didn't think I'd only make one visit here, did you? For Viv's birthday: dark chocolate ice cream, raspberries and walnuts mixed in. Raspberries in honor of Vivian's latest trick. And you know I love brown and pink together.


Vince headed off for SXSW parties--I mean--meetings. Vivian and I hit the open Texas road bound for a visit with my cousins and their families about 30 minutes away. This was the highlight of the trip for me. My cousin Darrin and his wife Donna, along with their kids Adam and Hailey welcomed us into their home so warmly. My cousin Amy and her daughter Sydney were there, too. It made me so happy to reconnect with family. I laughed til my cheeks and abs were aching...for 6 hours. They served me a delicious home cooked dinner. They snuggled and loved on Vivian, and it warmed my heart for them to meet their grandmother's namesake (Vivian was their beloved grandma, too).






Monday


Woke up late, to rain. With killer headache, to boot. Not a hangover like the rest of Austin, mind you; I think it was from the hotel's terrible pillows.

Coffee and breakfast taco at Jo's.

Explored Whole Foods Headquarters. Big and busy. My favorite part of this WF was the nut bar. They had fresh roasted nuts, all sorts of flavors. I enjoyed some praline pecans, my favorite part being that they were bundled up in a cute wrapper with hearts. I'd like to eat something out of a cute wrapper like this at least once a week. Hmmmm, I'll get to work on that.

Still rainy and cold, so Viv and I hung out at the hotel. Tummy time, exercises, lots of smiles.

Vince came home and we drove out of Austin to the Salt Lick for more BBQ. Chopped beef again for me, shared pecan pie for dessert. Best BBQ restaurant ambiance of all the BBQ restaurants we've been to--we sat at a picnic table in a screened-in porch with fairy lights. Loved the drive through the country. More great Cloud Watching Society moments--I see a heart, you?





Tuesday

Went to Jo's for one last cafe au lait (my coffee of choice when we're out for coffee) and overeasy egg sandwich for brekkie.

Packed up, headed for the airport. Airport was a breeze (not very busy). Ate Amy's ice cream one last time (yes, there's one in the airport; no, I couldn't resist)--just a tiny Mexican Vanilla this time. Mmmmmm. I will dream of this ice cream.

A fun flight home. Vivian was divine. Vince was clearly inspired from his time at SXSW. He has so many interesting, brilliant and inspired ideas he talked about on the way home. Talked about where we'll take Vivian next...Mexico? LA? Any suggestions?

Overall, I'm digging Austin. Would highly recommend it as a travel destination. Vince and I were joking that next year we should rent a house for a month so we could really get to know the place, and not have to condense so many foodie obligations into such a short trip. Actually, I don't think it's such a crazy idea. This is the kind of city you want to slow dance with. Lots of layers to experience. That's enough about Austin, ya'll.

4 comments:

AmyK said...

What a wonderful little vacation...have been waiting anxiously to read your post! We have been wanting to go to Austin for a while now and you have sold us in a BIG TEXAS way ;) I am so hungry now...where can I get some chopped beef around here???

hannah m said...

Amy, you'd love the chopped beef. I thought of you many-a-time! I've never seen it out here, but I bet we could make it... :)

angie said...

hotel pillows are the worst! it is a good thing you had so much yummy food to make up the difference! and i'm sold on this yummy ice cream - get me to austin!

Anonymous said...

I love that Vivian is reaching out for the ice cream! You will have to return once Vivian can eat sweets!!