3.09.2008

Dear Vivian {Month 7}

Dear Miss Thang,


7 months old in Austin, Texas
Happy 7 months. Seven months. Oh, my. Seven seems so close to ten, which is so close to twelve, which is a year! Please stop growing up so quickly, dear girl! It's been a fun month, full of new experiences.



In the Bumbo chair
You are working so hard on getting stronger. And we've seen you make so much progress. You enjoy sitting in your Bumbo chair, reading with me and picking up your favorite red bird finger puppet, or tossing the squeaking cloth doughnut over your head. We chat and visit and make plans for our day each morning like this. They are among my favorite mama moments.


Tummy time
You are working so hard on tummy time and rolling over. You tolerate it and then quickly decide enough's enough...but you keep on keepin' on. And I really admire that about you. You cry and make your feelings known about this torture--I mean, exercise-- but when it's time for a break, you mellow out so quickly. You stop crying and start smiling. You don't hold any grudges.

We've been attending a weekly mommy and baby read and sing class at the library with a neighborhood friend and her baby. You love watching the other babies. And you enjoy the little songs we sing, but you especially adore Open them, shut them, open them, shut them, give your hands a clap, clap, clap. It's good for us to get out and be with other moms and babies. It was something I thought we'd have been doing from the get-go, but it was worth the wait.

Rub a dub dub, L'il Viv's in the tub
You continue to love splashing during bath time. These are words I say during bath time, probably a little too enthusiastically: Rub a dub dub, l'il Viv's in the tub; Splashy, splashy, splashy, splashy, splashy! Rub a dub dub, l'il Viv's in the tub; Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy! Good times.

Blowing raspberries

Thumb in!
You've figured out how to blow raspberries this month. You love it so much that I laugh because sometimes it seems we're conversing in raspberries. I can't stop making raspberry sounds either; it's quite enjoyable! When you wake up from a nap in your crib, I hear you happily blowing raspberries and when I peer over the side of your crib to say hello, you smile big. And then you get back to the business of blowing raspberries. Almost without fail. You've also mastered sticking your thumb in your mouth. Whereas last month you would suck on your whole hand, trying to get just your thumb in there, now your thumb goes in on the first try. Often you'll take your thumb out of your mouth and hold it up near my mouth, as if you'd like to share. So, sometimes I'll take a little nibble of that sweet little thumb of yours and you laugh and smile. And then you go back to blowing raspberries.

Baby sleeping; Mom taking a sodoku break on the plane to Texas

Zilker Park Botanical Gardens, Austin, Texas
This month has also brought your first plane ride. We flew to Austin, Texas with Dad for SXSW. You were your sweet mellow self in the air for three hours, making the trip that much more enjoyable. You slept in my lap, ate a little, played, and then we had arrived. You are delightful to travel with. Daddy and I have enjoyed schlepping you around Austin, and you seem happy to be wherever we take you.


Blossoms in the spring
This month has also been all about blossoming trees. The buds were just beginning to open last month on the 9th--now buds and blossoms are being replaced by fresh, new leaves. Being your mom has allowed me to slow down and really see the world around me. For the first time in a long time, I am noticing golden-bellied finches on branches laden with buds about to burst. I am noticing that certain blossoming trees smell like corn tortillas.

First trip to the beach, Half Moon Bay
The other night when our family got home from a day at the beach and a visit with Granny, I actually looked up at the stars as I walked up to our house. It's been a long time since I've done that. And do you remember what I saw, Vivian? A falling star. Just like that. It was a reminder to keep things sweet and simple. To stop and notice the little things that make life beautiful and special. You remind me to do that, too.

My two favorite people
I love this photo of you and your dad. When daddy comes home from work, he's so happy to see you...but the feeling is clearly mutual. You'll contort your body in all sorts of ways to follow him with your eyes as he walks by. Your dad said to me the other night, "I'm so glad we have a daughter. I can't imagine it any other way." And while there is no doubt you would have been equally adored if you had been a boy, I'm touched that your dad is so connected to you. He's just so happy to be your dad. He even admires your especially sassy outfits. Seriously.

Hi, Smiler!
I love you, my little dear heart. I'm so happy we have this life together, making our way as we get to know each other more and more each day. You are enjoyable in every way. It makes me look so forward to the future with you. But it also makes each moment so precious, and as a moment passes by I savor it and then tuck it away, keeping it oh, so very close to my heart.

Loads of love with endless raspberries,
Mom

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Vivian! I love the pictures of you this month-your mama and daddy are really capturing great memories. I love the hair clip, the big girl reading a book, the very content traveler, raspberries and the happy grin in the bath. Hannah- I love that you are slowing down and noticing the blossoms and falling stars-It's a great reminder for me. And I feel so honored that Vivian blew some raspberries for me while I was holding her!! I can't believe it has been 7 months!

Carrie said...

(Now that I'm a mom, I speak only in cliches:) She is growing up so fast, and those special moments are so priceless!

J hasn't discovered raspberries yet - I'm looking forward to that.

AmyK said...

Happy Birthday Big Girl! Next time we see you, you need to teach E to speak in rasberries too!

Auntie Sarah said...

Oh look at how darling mi sobrina has grown! I love the cake shirt and chocolate-mint outfit (i like to think of the colors of clothes as food items). and that bow! too cute... I cant wait til this weekend :)

angie said...

i am so glad that you are still writing her letters - i can't wait until she is old enough to read them!