9.20.2008

September Fridays

About a month after Vivian was born, I was beginning to wrap my mind and my heart around the fact that she would need heart surgery. That her heart was not created healthy enough to sustain her without help. This was heart-wrenching, but I was getting used to the idea. I was thinking I could handle it.

One Friday in September I wrote this.

Within the next week Vince and I noticed that Vivian's irises were different sizes. A visit to the pediatrician landed us a referral to an ophthalmologist. But with that appointment weeks away, I scoured the internet for answers. Eventually I found the answer, and then some.

The following Friday, exactly a week later, I happened upon a wikipedia article that changed everything. Almost a footnote, I read a sentence that said something to the effect of in rare cases, a coloboma can be present with other birth defects, including the heart, hearing...part of a genetic condition called CHARGE.

I clicked the link. And I will never forget that moment. Because everything was suddenly different. I knew. And I didn't want to know. But by then I couldn't unknow.

I started into a not-so-pretty tailspin. 24 hours earlier, I had felt like I was getting a hold on coping. Now, I couldn't cope with anything. Everything was bleak and dark and dreary. Thoughts swirled in my mind: I didn't ask for this. I want her to be normal. Will we have more children? I'll never see Mexico again. I woke up in the mornings unable to breathe, a heavy brick on my chest allowing only shallow breaths. I floated through my days, taken care of by my dad, who fed both Vivian and me, took us for walks, kept us company. The HGTV channel was on constantly - an effort to fill my mind with decorating ideas instead of the ever present worry and anguish. At night, when Vince was home, I cried - on the kitchen floor, in the bathroom, as I fed our little baby.

I honestly never thought I would feel joy again (as I type that, tears sting my eyes, remembering so clearly what that felt like - it felt like a death sentence). I thought So this is what life is going to be like now. I didn't think I'd ever be the Hannah I was before August 9. I mourned that. I wanted to go back and start over. It was a very self-centered time, because I was so wrapped up in how everything would affect me.

I somehow found the grace to ask for and accept help in the midst of all this mess. When Vince suggested I call our midwife for advice, I said yes. I said yes to talking to a psychologist. I said yes to antidepressants for awhile to help get me over the hump. I said yes when my dad offered to come each day and keep us company, caring for Vivian and me while Vince was at work. I said yes to visits from friends. I said yes when my parents told Vince and me to go out for a nice, long dinner while they watched Vivian.

One day Vince had taken Vivian to the backyard to sit under our tree. He called me out to join them. Crying, I sat in the end of summer, start of fall sunshine. Vince looked up at me and said Hannah, I still feel lucky. We're so lucky Vivian's here. She's going to have a good life because she has us. Vince's confidence and assurance that our life could still be beautiful, could still be joyful, started to bring a little light.

It's like the Leonard Cohen lyric: "There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in." I had hit rock bottom and I was broken. Full of cracks. But those cracks did, in fact, start letting the light in again. Little by little, brighter and brighter.

One morning in October I woke up and I felt like me again. It was like a happy secret had filled my heart. I suddenly had this very quiet but confident understanding about our life and these unexpected curves. I wish I could better articulate this understanding - but suffice it to say that something shifted in me, and I am so thankful for that. Most of the time these days, my life makes sense to me. I'm still sad sometimes, of course. I'm overwhelmed by Vivian's encompassing diagnosis. But I've decided to enjoy and trust and have faith.

Life with Vivian is amazing. We smile and laugh every day. We surround ourselves with wonderful people. We have a lot of fun. One day we'll sit as a family on a Mexican beach, eating guacamole and watching the waves, mariachi music approaching in the distance. And I'll be so glad for the light that Miss Vivian has brought to our life.

PS I wrote this a couple of months ago. For a while I felt such shame about the things I thought and the way I fell apart when I first found out about CHARGE. I know every mom's experience is different, but I decided I would share a little about my dark days in case someone else might relate. I've read a few personal stories by moms of kids with special needs, and I found such comfort to know I wasn't the only one who had thoughts of wanting to start over or wish it away before eventually finding her own peace and joy on a new path.

18 comments:

Karen Rock said...

I understand where you have been Hannah. And I think it is good that you finally posted this because it gives contrast. When we brought Lily home I couldn't sleep because I had the montior up really loud so I could hear her breate. (Thank God she had teh choanal atresia surgery because back then she snored just like her dad!) Every day I remember that Lily is the right baby girl for us. I think we are the moms that are strong enough to handle this. Every time Jim gets upset because Lily cries or gets fussy, I remind him that she's a baby and that's what babies DO. Can't change it. It is what it is. Some days when Lily gets fussy I just look at her and say "Lily, it's not heart surgery!" and smile:). She has one more to go and I know we are meant to have her as long as we have her. And that is the same for parents of any "normal" kids. Her "special nees" are parents like you and me Hannah.

Sara said...

Oh Hannah, THANK YOU for sharing this post. I read every single word with a nod and a tear because I understood them all! I, too, have felt awful for the way I felt about Madeline's diagnosis. I have also realized that that reaction did not make me a bad person--I realized it made me normal. Your reaction last year was normal.

I am so glad you are in the place you want to be now. Vince was right; you are lucky to be Vivian's parents. I am sure you want no one else to be Vivian's mom now.

I feel blessed every day to have my daughter. She has taught me so much. I think one of the best things she has taught me is to not sweat the small stuff. I think I enjoy being a mom so much more than most because I enjoy the little things--what a gift.

Don't get me wrong, I still have my sad days. I won't dwell on those, but I wanted you to know that I am still normal.

It's posts like this one that makes me wish we lived closer so we could meet for coffee (or ice cream) and chat and hug.

Thanks again for a lovely post.
Hugs, Sara

LisaAnn said...

Hannah, You are an amazing mom. While I reading this I was thinking about how you and Vivian seem to blend as one person when you are together. She will thrive because she has you. Just look at her sly smile and you know she is on her way. This week I was meeting with a parent who was very upset about their child's limits. I just thought of you and how you say-that is the child you were meant to have. When you return to teaching you will be simply amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah, thank you for sharing that history and perspective - so meaningful.

Michele said...

Oh my dear friend, I wish I had been there to help you through the dark times. You are an amazing mother and I absolutely believe you were meant to be her mother. I can't imagine anyone else being as perfect for the role as you.

AmyK said...

Oh my sweet Hannah! You continue to impress and amaze me. Your have an amazing ability to be so real with us and to help even those of us who don't truly understand, to "get it". Of course you know now how "normal" those thoughts and feelings are and by telling us about it I am sure you have lifted a huge weight off of yourself and in-turn will help so many others do the same.

Victoria Nelson said...

Hannah,
I was only able to read your blog very quickly this morning before Moriah kept me on the go. However, I was thinking about it all day and I couldn't go to bed without writing a post and letting you know - I can relate!! I remember when the doctors first told me they thought Moriah had CHARGE syndrome. My heart sank, I had a lump in my throat, I started to shake, and thought "no, not my baby." It was sooo incredibly hard to come to "terms" with it all, and I didn't know how to handle it. It was like grieving the loss of a healthy, normal child. But, like you, I accepted it. Okay then. My baby has CHARGE syndrome - whatever that means! This is the story God has written for me. I can either get mad and depressed or I can take the lessons from it and be thankful for the gift He has given me - my beautiful baby girl who He has made perfect in every way.
I don't know if this is making any sense since it is so late at night. But, I just want to thank you for writing this, reminding me of the powerful bond that us moms share. It's so nice to know that we are not alone in this...
With all my love,
Victoria

greta ott said...

hannah:
I think that you are brave. I am moved by your words, your experience.
When I learned of vivi's diagnosis, I could barely wrap my head around it. I sat up for three days wondering why? how? when? etc. etc.

on a side note, after Finn was born, I too went through some dark days. Typical stuff, but it was hard. And then I gained 50 pounds. But eventually I found light and happiness again, and made many changes in my life. I lost all the weight and then some, and then found out I was pregnant with Malley.

sorry, I wrote a novel. Maybe I should of just sent you an email.

anyway, you rock. and I am loving vince was more that I probably should.

greta ott said...

the last sentence of my "novel" should read:
I am loving vince way more than I probably should.

sorry for the typos.

amy and mighty max said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amy and mighty max said...

Oh my friend...I am with you, right with you. Oh how dark those initial days and weeks were for all of us. And if I am really honest, mine lasted months. Max was critically ill in the hospital and I was going through a very unexpected and difficult divorce. To say I wanted to just run away is putting it mildly!!! :)

But each day I fell more and more in love with my precious baby and less angry at the diagnosis. It's a journey none of us would have asked for, but I can't imagine now not being on it. The people we have met, the lessons we have learned, the joys we have experienced...simply priceless.

And from what I have experienced in our three years is that each day/week/month keeps getting better and better. Seriously, I can't imagine Max any other way than he is today...perfection, absolute perfection.

Thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts...I know it's difficult. I'm sure you would rather just focus on all the great things. But it is also important to sometimes be honest with ourselves and others around us...we do indeed have difficult days. We do indeed have a life of challenges with our children. But yet, we are still doing ok...more than ok.

Enough rambling...keep up the great work my friend! Your family is beautiful and doing great things together!

Amy and Mighty Max

angie said...

i love this so much. your words have always been so refreshing and honest and the more i get to know you - the more i adore you (and you were already at the tippy top of my adoration list)...really, hannah, you are the peony.

Crystal M. said...

I remember those days like it was yesterday. Its so hard to hear you have waited so long for this sweet baby to find out they have so many problems and one day they could be taken away.
My mind and heart still hurts with these questions.
I know in time these questions become less and less and I try to live every moments I have with my family.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful post and your feelings, it always helps to get them out even if its just on a post and it helps others to know they are not alone.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

erinl said...

Hannah, This post is incredible. I have no words. Only tears and amazement. And smiles as I think of where you are today. Until now I have only known the pre-August and post-December Hannah. There was light in our brief meeting in July and there was light again when our paths crossed in January. It was different, but it was there. Your light has grown since then and it is a joy to see your light shine on Precious Viv's little face. I never knew the darkness you experienced and I consider it a gift that you were willing to share such a vulnerable period.

Well I guess I had words after all. Hannah, you are a beautiful mother and Vivian is so blessed that God chose you for her. You can always find hope and strength in Him. Praise God for you and Vince and Vivian.

Anonymous said...

hannah, thank you for sharing your whole self. i think the world of you, and your courage to speak your truth is part of what makes you the wonderful woman you are. xo susan

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Hannah, I know exactly where you are coming from! My depression from Katie's diagnosis didn't actually hit me, though, until she was almost 2 years old. When she was born, she was really not that medically fragile like most CHARGE kids are. She had a cleft lip and palate, but those were her most serious medical issues. Well, she did have a heart PDA, but it was small enough that the cardiologist just monitored it for her first 3 years. She only stayed in the NICU for 2 days and than came home with us.

The first year was rough at times because Katie had four surgeries related to her cleft, and we started getting the individual diagnoses of her hearing loss, vision loss, etc. But overall, she seemed so much like a typical baby! She ate orally, never had any swallowing or breathing problems, loved to go places with us, etc. Oh, she was delayed in areas, like sitting up, language, and gross motor skills, but I guess we just never thought that much about it because she was such a joy otherwise. We had no other kids, so we really had no way of relating her accomplishments or delays to others. I think I lived in a vacuum, thinking that she would eventually "outgrow" some of her sensory deficits or would learn to cope effectively with them.

I think it all finally hit me when she was around 20 months old and had had her cochlear implant for a few months but really wasn't making any progress with it, and she had been taking physical therapy for a year and wasn't even close to walking. I stepped back and finally realized that, no, she wasn't going to be suddenly "cured" of all this by some miracle. This was who Katie was, and she was going to need a lot of help in adjusting and overcoming her challenges. Boy, did that hit me like a ton of bricks! I think I had been in denial for almost 2 years. I honestly went through about 2 years of pure grief after that, much as you described. I thought I would never come out of it.

I have to say I do much better now, but like everyone has said here, I still have my sad days. But I've come to accept our life, with its ups and downs, and cherish everything we go through, good and bad. It's made me a different person, and I'm grateful for all the special people we've met and continue to meet on our journey--like you and Vivian and Vince!

xo
Leslie & Katie

Catherine L said...

So many of us can relate. My entries after Reuben's birth read the same, a real grief that overwhelmed me, the need to accept. We fell in love with our babies under extraordinary circumstances once we'd exorcised the darkest feelings within ourselves. And after that, the days just get more beautiful re Reuben. He doesn't come with a tag of CHARGE. He's my beautiful gorgeous boy whom I am so very proud of.

Anonymous said...

Hannah - I had a bit of time this afternoon and was exploring some of your older posts and stumbled across this one. It is beautiful. I can relate to and understand every feeling that you described. From the selfish pain to eventual joy. I was nodding my head in agreement when you described that morning in October. I could tell you what day I too woke up one morning at peace, and with a perfect secret of joy.

It may not be the easiest journey, but I wouldn't change it for the moment. Bless you and your wonderful family.

-Libby