Vince has always been the king of nicknames and terms of endearment. In the course of our 12 years of friendship, love and marriage, he has called me things like "Mokie", "Bobes", "Cutie-Pie-Baby-Butt" and countless others. I wish my memory was good enough to make a flow chart of all the names he's given me over the years. I rarely reciprocate with anything more than the quintessential "babe", "honey" or the occasional "Vincent Van Gogh Away" (my one creative contribution, reserved for the more annoying moments of Vince's antics).
So, shortly after we found out we were going to be parents, Vince started calling the baby "Benbo" -- "Benbo Benopolis" to be exact. We called the baby Benbo almost exclusively, rarely saying "the baby" or "it." We realized at some point that if we found out we were having a boy, we'd probably have to name him Benjamin, so ingrained in our lexicon was the name Benbo. When the ultrasound determined that we were likely having a girl, she continued to be our sweet little Benbo, though "Baby Girl" worked itself into my conversations with her. For example: "My dear sweet Baby Girl, could you please stop kicking me in the ribs?" or "Yes, Baby Girl, I see you sticking your butt out!" as she wiggled and grew inside me.
But now she's Vivian, a perfect name for our our little Benbo. The story of her real name I'll save for another day.
8.28.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
hannah,
so glad that you did this, now we can see and read all the important happenings going on in your life. I'm not sure how you get your brain to work in the "wee" hours of the morning!?!? I do remember those times Jess and I would be up together, so very special, like a slumber party. Love you both
sand
I am so thrilled you are doing this for you and for us! What a wonderful way to talk about your lives and to share with all of us as well. I actually started a blog (only one entry) when Elliot was about 3 weeks old...you have inspired me to make a second entry soon! Love to you all! ASK
happy, happy, joy, joy. i can't stop thinking about how perfect and little vivian is - i just adore you and am so happy about the benbo weblog!
Yeah! I'm so glad you have a blog so I can see more pictures of your beautiful little "Benbo". So sweet. I love that picture of you with her in the sling.
Hi Hannah,
I've been thinking of you a lot over the past month - so I was so happy to be included on all the Vivian info! Congratulations to you and Vince!! She is such a beautiful little thing and I'm so glad to hear that she's home with you now getting stronger and bigger. She could ask for no better, kinder, or braver mom in her fragile state. Would love to come visit you two at some point in the near future... keep me updated.
=)
Love,
Emily Khan
Hello, Hannah. I'm here from Sweet | Salty. I wanted to come and introduce myself as I have also been through the baby who was diagnosed with a heart defect (Tetralogy of Fallot) just after birth situation. My son is now 2 years old and has had 2 heart catheterizations and 2 open heart surgeries. While he seems to be doing very well to us, we are told that there are more catheterizations in his future, along with regular cardiologist check ups and needing antibiotics before any dental work. Such a strange place I've found myself in where I never imagined I'd be.
My husband also nicknamed our baby before he was born. He couldn't stand the trite "bun in the oven" so decided to call him The Biscuit. We struggled with what to call his sister while I was pregnant with her; finally decided to stay with the bakery theme and she is The Cupcake.
Best wishes to you and your daughter.
Hannah,
Thank you for sharing your story with us. I wished so much that I could be there to support you over the last month. Now after reading your labor story, I feel like I was there with you. You are a beautiful writer. Matt and I are thinking of you, Vince, and Vivian always and can't wait to read your next blog entry!
Mer
I wish I could be there to meet little miss Vivian. I love that you started this blog so all of us that are far away can keep up with you and your new little darling! Miss you so much!
Post a Comment