3.06.2008
Cloud Watching Society
Dorothy: What are you knitting, Ma, a hat?
Sophia: No, it's a case for my bottle of Sherry. When you walk through the park drinking from a paper bag, suddenly everyone's your best friend.
Dorothy: You drink Sherry in the park??
Sophia: Yeah, me and the girls have a Cloud Watching Society. We go to the park, throw back some Sherry, and tell each other what we think the clouds look like.
I have a confession to make. I've been watching The Golden Girls before I fall asleep at night. It's part of my Mama's Family Theory: watching a rerun of a silly sitcom is a perfect transition from a busy day to a peaceful night's sleep. Two reasons: I don't care if I fall asleep before it's over, and if I do manage to see the episode to the end, all problems are resolved in a neat thirty minute package. I like that.
Also, my grandma Vivian and I used to love watching this together (in prime time), so it conjures up happy memories.
In addition, I cannot resist singing along with the theme song EVERY NIGHT, and out of tune at that. Vince just loves that. Thank you for bein' a friend...traveled down the road and back again...
In any event, last night before I fell asleep the above exchange took place between Dorothy and her mom Sophia. And I laughed out loud.
I'll skip the sherry drinking, especially in the park, thank you very much. But I'm thinking a Cloud Watching Society might be fun. Care to join me?
We're leaving for Austin, Texas tomorrow morning. Viv and I are tagging along on a business trip with Vince. Everything's supposed to be bigger in Texas, so it might be the perfect spot to initiate some cloud watching (sans sherry, maybe ice cream instead?). I'll let you know what I see up there in that Texas sky--cowboys? sides of beef? lassos? You just never know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
The day I learned you watched Mama's Family on late-nite TV was the day I knew we would be life-long friends!
Have a great time in TX. The clouds - and the image on top of your blog - remind me of my latest obsession... http://lakr.tumblr.com/post/28141240
I'm dying over the image of you watching Golden Girls and singing along to the theme song each night. Too funny!
I love those two shows!! Any chance I get to watch them I am so happy. Have a great time in Texas. I miss you and Viv. Hopefully we can see each other soon!
Hannah- The Golden Girls is (was) a secret love of mine.. that and Cosby Show. But the Golden Girls, and The Price Is Right, especially, make me think of Grandma!
have a great time in Austin. I cant wait to see you and Vivi next week. I already am thinking up fun adventures to go on!
Have a great time in Texas!! Good luck with Vivian's first airplane trip! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures!
Have fun in TX! I hope you take lots of pics to share with us when you get back.
Post a Comment