10.26.2008

Sisterhood

Three years after I was born, my sister Sarah was born. I adore my sister Sarah. She has gorgeous red hair, a generous heart and a warm smile. I treasure her confident support of Vivian and me.

I have longtime friends dear enough to count as sisters - my chosen family - whom I have traveled with and laughed til I cried with and shared pieces of cake with. Where would I be without their kindnesses in the form of casseroles and cookies and hugs as I stumbled along this path in the past year?



Within moments of finding out about Vivian's heart, and in the months following that led to her CHARGE diagnosis, I joined another sisterhood. For months, I wasn't aware that this bond existed.

It was only after Vivian's heart surgery that I felt pulled to connect with others who might be experiencing something similar. I joined the CHARGE listserv and started visiting the blogs of some CHARGE families. I wish I could describe the feeling of discovering a whole world of people who get it. I was so comforted to know I wasn't alone in uncharted waters.

Time and time and time again I am so, so grateful to live in a time where I can click click click on the computer and be reminded that someone else gets it. It's an interesting experience to feel a friendship with people whom I haven't yet laughed with or shared a piece of cake with. But it's real and true and I'm thankful for it every day. My friend Abi in England describes it as "our own Narnia." Part of our lives and part of our hearts is comprised of our own language, and we need each other to understand and to be understood.

Several of my sisters' hearts are full of worry and sadness right now. This morning I took their words and jogged with them, tumbling them around in my mind, trying to sort it all out. If I lived closer, I'd be dropping off cupcakes on their doorsteps, offering to play with their little ones as they catch up on a little sleep, doing an errand for them. But we're scattered across the world and all I have is words.

This is what I've been thinking about: our specific experiences as mothers are different, but our stories and journeys connect us in a really special way. I don't presume to know what anyone is going through, but the nature of our unique experiences make it possible for us to understand in a way others may not be able to. I am blessed to have joined this sisterhood of women who are on a different path than they anticipated, but approach life with love and a positive attitude and advocacy on behalf of their children. These sisters inspire me every day. At the same time, when days are long and the road seems extra bumpy and the tears come easily, I hold my sisters close in thought, understanding what that's like because I've been there and will probably always have my own days like that. When I am overwhelmed, at my wit's end, sad and trying to sort it all out, my sisters buoy me up with understanding, perspective, suggestions and ideas based on experience and that reminder that means everything: you're not alone in this.

I am thankful for you, dear sisters. I can't wait to laugh til we cry as we eat some cake together.

"Secret Heart" by Brian Andreas


The secret is
not in your
hand
or your
eye
or your
voice,
my aunt once
told me. The
secret is in
your heart.

Of course, she said, knowing
that doesn't make it any easier.


11 comments:

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Beautifully said, Hannah. I feel so lucky to have my CHARGE sisters, too. My day isn't complete until I've checked in on everyone and shared their ups and downs. Though none of us willingly "chose" this sisterhood, I am so grateful that I can share this journey with such amazing women and don't have to travel this road alone.

Love,
Leslie & Katie

angie said...

this is lovely

Auntie Sarah said...

I second Angie's feeling... so lovely. Hannah I am so thankful that you have developed this amazing connection with all these CHARGE 'kindred spriits...' Since I can only share myfaith in what the future holds, and try to learn as Much as possible about CHARGE syndrome.. I used to wish I could do more.. I prayed to be able to offer more- but I realize, that I dont need to worry about that: You have so many amazing and dear friends through the country and World who follow your and Vivi's life.. and I also love learning about their lives, because It helps me understand what Vivi is going through, and WILL go through. Thank Goodness for the Internet! :) SO much love is found here. WE love you H+V+V.... we will visit those apple orchards soon enough.. <3 Auntie Sarah and Tio Tato

Auntie Sarah said...

P.S. How cute are Angie and her boys?!

Crystal M. said...

Wonderfully said!! I was so happy to find all these wonderful CHARGE Families on line and I am always happy to find new ones.
We went to the conference last year and it was the best thing we ever did and I am going to do my best to never miss anther one again.
We have a small group of us mom who went out to dinner last year at the conference and it was the most wonderful time I had, had in a long time.
I hope you make it next year and you can feel the love and joy in person as we did.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Sara said...

Another beautiful post, Hannah! You have such a way with words. Even though we are on a different path with our daughters, I find they really are very similar. I relate to so much of what you share. It makes my journey so much more bearable--thank you!

Hugs, Sara

Victoria Nelson said...

Hannah,
This is so true. It's an amazing connection that only us moms share...
I'm thinking of you guys, and can't wait to meet my sister, niece, and brother-in-law in person =)!
We are heading up on Nov 11 so I'll be seeing you real soon.
Love,
Victoria

Kristi said...

Oh, Hannah, I have tears... can I just put a link to your post from my blog and write: "Ditto"?

Your writings always hit me straight in the heart and are always so beautifully stated.
I cannot imagine how lonely this journey would be without our special sisterhood. I truly feel like I would cease to breathe and simply fall apart without the support that I receive... as well as the support that I can offer.

To share a piece (or two) of cake with you and laugh 'til we cry would be an honor and I look forward to it so much.

Love,
Kristi

Catherine L said...

Beautifully said. Remember those first few days (I know you do from your writings) when thinking you were alone in this journey was the saddest thing and then the discovery of sisterhood made it all so much more bearable, yet sad too that other families were living the pain for their children. I've been so neglectful of my old friends because my affinity with you all seems so much stronger right now. Love Catherine x

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an encounter with another human being. Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light."

Perhaps the words of Albert Schweitzer are well put to describe an encounter with a 'sister'....
Grandma Laura

Karen Rock said...

As usual Hannah you write so brilliantly for all of us CHARGE sisters (and others) to feel. You brought tears and smiles to my face today!!! I am so happy that we are all able to reach out. It helps me keep my sanity. Really.