Vivian did so well today. Thanks for your positive thoughts and prayers - it's amazing how that support is tangible and so, so uplifting - thank you.
We had a great anesthesiologist who took good care of Vivian during her hearing test. She was under for 2.5 hours (dreaming happily, I hope - those were my instructions as I said goodbye) and our audiologist was able to get some good information.
Bottom line (funny how doctors always seem to give the bottom line/big picture after all the medically overwhelming details - but that's just how I roll - I want the big picture first, details second), Vivian's hearing is compromised on her right side, but will be able to be corrected with a hearing aid. She is profoundly deaf on her left side, but we'll still try an aid . Our audiologist was able to make impressions of her ears while she was under, and we'll be getting some loaner aids from Stanford while hers are being made. This is pretty much what we were expecting based on her newborn screening, botched test and knowing her for a year now. I feel happy to know and am excited about Vivian's world being filled with some new beautiful details like softly chirping birds, squirrel chases in the backyard trees and the whispering of sweet nothings into her sweet little ear.
It was hard being back inside the hospital walls - we literally followed the same path we took in December - to admitting, second floor pre-op check in, waited in the hall, taken by the nurse to the same exact room to be weighed and measured, instructed to sit on the same exact couch to wait, walked with Vivian in my arms through the same doors where Vince and I achingly said goodbye and handed her over to the cardiac anesthesiologist last winter. Of course, my heart was lighter this time round, but the memories were real and close.
Small world, I kept running into an old colleague whose daughter was getting her tonsils out; we spotted Vivian's rockstar heart surgeon from down the hall - most doctors don't wear tweed jackets over their scrubs, but he does- (I would have said hello if he'd walked past us, but I wasn't about to go chasing after him, I am not a doctor stalker :)); and on our way out of the hospital, we ran into my dear friend from childhood who is now a pediatric hospitalist. I like to be reminded that the world is small and is filled with good people.
Viv's been eating up a storm tonight and is currently blowing raspberries and saying /eh//eh/ (her new sound) while intermittedly clapping and chewing on her blankie next to me. My little sweetie, such a strong little bug. I am exhausted, mentally and physically.
Oh, and did I mention we walked to get ice cream tonight? And now I feel sick. Because I got that waffle bowl with chocolate and sprinkles again. What was I thinking?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Yay! What a champ! I am so happy to hear that it went well. I've been so anxious for an update -- we were in the neighborhood of LPCH today, and I admit to having some stalkerish impulses. :)
Oh Yay! Thank you for posting tonight... just seeing the title "We're Home" and the sweet photo of you and Viv brought a very big smile and a good sigh. I'm so glad everything went well and you have some good answers now. Praise God!
That picture of the two of you say it all! So glad that it went well!
So glad you have some answers and a plan, now :-). And super happy to hear Vivi was such a rockstar through it all!
You were in my thoughts this evening - - I read your initial post around 5pm and thought I'd check in again before a little sleep and see if there was an update. Such a sweet photo of the two of you. Hope your tummy ache subsides... :-)
I am so glad that Vivian made it through her procedure with flying colors. I am also glad you have some answers. It sounds like yesterday was very positive.
I know just what you mean by being in the hospital. I hate going with Madeline for any procedure--minor or major. I also identified with your emotions when you took Vivian for her heart surgery. When I took Madeline for her first spine surgery I just bawled. I remember wanting to just run the other way--far, far away from the hospital. I took her blanket and baby doll with me as I left the OR and I cried to our surgeon, "Take good care of my baby." He told me he would. I was a nervous wreck through the whole procedure.
I love the picture of you holding her. We should take more pictures at the hospital because even though I hate those times, they are a part of our lives.
I hope your tummy is feeling better. Thanks for updating us.
Hugs, Sara
Thanks for the update! So glad it went well and that you are home sweet home again!
Yay! Miss Vivian you are such a trooper! Hannah & Vince I am glad you got some answers and are moving in a positive direction. I know Miss Vivian can hear her Mama's voice...she lights up every time she hears it!! Love the picture of you two! Thanks for the update! =)
Yay for new hearing aids - the earlier they get on, the better. It's hard but it's good to just know and get on with it.
Glad the day went well and that you have some answers now. For me, at least, some type of answer is better than not knowing at all. Good luck with the hearing aids. This will open a whole new world for Vivian!
Just found your blog from Think Pink. Vivian is a beauty! She looks so content with you.
Seems we are similar in a couple ways...my miracle son came 5 weeks early, and I have a severe hearing loss like your little girl.
I've grown up with hearing aids and speech therapy and lipreading training. Surgeries, specialists, talks of cochlear implants, etc. Praying for you... there are so many options out there and I know you'll do the best for your sweet girl!
Post a Comment