11.02.2008

Holland

After hearing the news about Vivian's heart, I sat in my hospital room. My midwife popped in to say hello. She didn't know the news yet. One look at her kind eyes and I fell apart. Though that implies that I was together in the moments before her arrival, and I wasn't. I was a sad, broken-hearted mess.

I managed to tell her the news. I'm certain my eyes were red and puffy. I know there was snot on my face. She sat at my bedside in her characteristically calming way, rubbing my hand in hers, and told me a story. It was a story about going to Italy. In the story, I boarded a plane with my bags packed, tour guide book earmarked, thoughts of Venice and Florence and gelato floating in my head. But on the way there, I found out I wouldn't be landing in Italy. The plane was going to land in Holland. Not what I'd planned for or packed for, but still, Holland is a nice place. So I'd buy a warmer sweater, maybe a raincoat, and instead of Venice's canals, I'd be walking along Amsterdam's.

As Olga told me this story, I thought, What I'd give to be anywhere but this stuffy hospital room. I would give anything to really be in Holland, right now, with my whole life in front of me. My mind took me back to my visit to Amsterdam seven years earlier: the Van Gogh museum, coffee with milk at a canalside cafe, the Pancake House for dinner (both nights), french fries with curry ketchup, that park...what was it called?

But I wasn't in Holland. I was in a hot hospital room with a view to a garden I could care less about and a baby who should still be cooking in my belly. A baby who was in the hospital's NICU with a little heart unable to support her life unless she underwent major surgery. How in the world did I get here? I don't want to be here. I was in a place I had never planned on going.

I didn't know then that the story Olga told me is the anthem for the special needs world, a story written to explain what it's like to be on a different path than you expected. Of course, I didn't know then that Vivian's heart was just one of many issues we'd be dealing with, and I would understand this story on an even deeper level in the not so distant future.

=========

One morning this spring, with Vivian's heart surgery behind us, I spoke to a friend on the phone. And I started crying because it hit me. Her heart was fixed, but now what? What about her eyes and her hearing and her gross motor skills and her mind and her nose and her eating and, and, and...? It was overwhelming to have gotten through something so monumental as major heart surgery and still have so much left to deal with. Stuff that couldn't be fixed with surgery.

My friend asked me to hang on - there was something she had just read, and she wanted to share it with me. She came back on the phone and read me the Holland story. We both cried quiet tears, she as she read, and I as I listened. I needed to hear it, and I needed someone who didn't live it to understand what it might be like.

=========

If you haven't read the story "Welcome to Holland" by Emily Perl Kingsley, I posted it below or you can read it here.
=========

One day a couple of weeks ago my google reader listed a blog in its suggestions, which I randomly clicked on, one handed, as I fed Miss Vivian. That click took me to the words of Jennifer Graf Groneberg, who wrote a book titled Road Map to Holland: How I Found My Way Through My Son's First Two Years With Down Syndrome. Of course, the title caught my eye: Holland.

I have just devoured this book. The author's words describe such a personal experience and yet I found myself saying Yes! Oh, I get that. I remember thinking those exact words in my own brain! I highly recommend reading this beautiful book. And her lovely blog Pinwheels.

This was one of my favorite passages:

Then Avery makes a new sign, one we’ve practiced, but I haven’t seen him do on his own before. Swinging side to side, hugging himself, back and forth, proud. He’s saying, baby.

That’s the sign I want to use to tell [my friend] what it’s like being Avery’s mom. Big love, big joy. Let go. Hug yourself and swing your body and smile and expect that the world will receive you just as you are, and it will. It will because you make it so, with all your heart and your whole body, smiling, swaying back and forth so fast and pure that the surety of it makes you dizzy. (p.213)


=========

There are moments, minutes, now and then, when I long for the typical.

Moments when I long to not know hospital life; long to not manage appointments with eight specialists and counting; long to not have our play interrupted by the need to do this exercise or that one, put the hearing aid in - in - in, patch the eye...

But those are just moments. The other hours and days and weeks and months I don't wish it away.

Being on this different path, being in Holland, makes me wonder: Would I be savoring my life as a mother as much if my experience were typical? I'll never know, but I don't think I would be. I would never have wished for Vivian to have these challenges, but at the same time, I can't imagine her being any more perfect or wonderful than she is. She is the perfect baby for Vince and me. She brings happiness and joy to so many.

So we're in Holland. And it's really quite lovely.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

ah hannah your jsut like catherine with the writing i see the pictures of your words that poem is one we talk of in charge list often but never heard of the book you mentioned

Anonymous said...

Hannah, I have goose bumps and tears. You and Vince and Viv are all such precious gifts from God and how wonderful that He made you a family. You have such a special place in my heart. I know you would have a special place if Viv were "typical", but because she is not, I see more and more what an amazing and special soul you are. I am constantly learning from you. My love to you and to sweet, sassy, lovely, amazing Vivian.

Rachel said...

Beautiful, beautiful post.

I'm afraid I was my mother's ticket to Holland, but she tells it as if she was meant to be a special-needs mom from forever ago.

I wouldn't trade our journey for anything.

So very glad for your honest and heartwarming thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Dear Hannah,
I loved this post and the Holland story. It's a perfect metaphor. You know, I bet we have all been to Holland at some times in our lives, whether we planned it or not; and I believe that's just the way it was meant to be.
Besides, Hannah, you've been to Italy and I'll bet you would say it's not nearly as wonderful as Holland :)
I am so proud of you and Vince.

AmyK said...

Thank you once again for sharing your deepest thoughts and experiences! I know this trip to Holland we were not entirely together, so I appreciate you sharing so I can better understand. You are such a dear friend, mother and I just LOVE your little Benbo to pieces!

Life is Great said...

yes holland it is! and it is a beautiful place to land. they read that on the radio before interviewing us during a radiothon for children's last Feb. I would say maybe the parents experience in CHARGE land is like maybe the swiss alps with lots of ups and downs and our babies are like the sunrises in our life; the beauty so great that drives us to find grace in each new day... ...

Unknown said...

Holland is a pretty extraordinary place...

Lovely piece you've written.

Sara said...

Hannah,

This post really hit me. I relate on so many levels.

I remember when I first read the Holland story. A special ed. teacher in my building asked if I had read it and I hadn't. Madeline was about six months old at the time. I remember reading it and thinking, "this is exactly it--this is exactly how I feel." I have loved it since.

I have never heard of the book, but I am going to check it out soon. Thanks for sharing. I already know I will enjoy it.

I, too, long for typical. Madeline has her next procedure coming up. She has to have a CT scan this Friday. I get anxious always at this time. I hate that we have to do this at all, but especially as often as we have to. Then I try to remember to just take it as it comes--one day at a time. It's just not always easy.

Madeline's love and smile usually helps me through this time. I agree with what you said about Vivian being perfect for you--I feel the same away about Madeline. And I'd never change any part about her......I just wish I didn't have to put her through CT scans, surgery, and the like.

Sending you a big hug!

Sara

PS--I am working on those flowers this week!!! :)

Karen Rock said...

Hannah:
I read this not too long ago and totally identified with it. Your comments about it make it all the more poignant. I guess I will be at the library soon loking for that book as well.

Karen and Lily

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love your blog! Thank you for your beautiful words; thank you for including a part of my story in yours.

xo

angie said...

beautiful. just like you and miss viv.

Kristi said...

Beautifully written, as always, Hannah.
Will be checking that book out - loved the excerpt you shared.
On Holland... it is lovely, isn't it?