In the months since Vivian's birth and the initial diagnosis of her congenital heart defect, we've been discovering other health issues. It turns out her heart, eyes, ears, development and more are all affected by a rare and complex genetic syndrome called CHARGE. We've recently received this official clinical diagnosis from our geneticist.
I've known about CHARGE since accidentally stumbling across the information on the internet last fall. It was one of those moments when I just knew. And it sent me into a not-so-pretty tailspin. It would be a couple of months, however, before we heard the words CHARGE uttered by a doctor. And even after that, Vivian's diagnosis was pending as we continued to see specialists and put the pieces if the puzzle together. All the while, my mamaheart knew, and was ready to hear the words when the geneticist spoke them.
It's been a road - one that I've been writing about and will probably share bits and pieces of- but, overall, we're in a good place right now.
Healthwise, here's what we know:
+ We all know about Vivian's heart. That's been corrected - she'll need valves replaced in the next 10-20 years, but that's minor compared to December's surgery.
+ She has a coloboma of the eye (the retina didn't close all the way during development in utero), but we know she can see. When she's older, we'll know the extent to which the coloboma affects her vision.
+ She has hearing loss, and we're still waiting to know the extent of that hearing loss. Her recent re-test (after the botched test last fall) was postponed because she had a little fluid in her ears.
+ She has a unilateral choanal atresia, which means that one of her nasal passageways is blocked by boney cartilage. So, she's been breathing through one nostril her whole life, which contributes to her adorable snorts and tiring out during feedings. This will be corrected with surgery this fall.
+ We know about Vivian's developmental delays and the huge strides she's made in the past few months. We will be finding out more about the extent to which her physical body makeup affects her balance and gross motor skills.
+She will have a blood test to determine if there is a mutation on the gene CHD7. This mutation was discovered by researchers four years ago, and wouldn't change her diagnosis or prognosis, but will just be additional information.
Over the months, we've established an amazing team of doctors and therapists to follow and support Miss Viv. Seeing them all keeps us very busy! I am so, so thankful for warm-hearted, gentle and caring people who also happen to be experts in their respective fields. We are in good hands.
I am really open about Vivian and her diagnosis. Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions about CHARGE Syndrome or Vivian.
To find out more about CHARGE syndrome, you can visit the CHARGE Foundation's website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
Hannah,
Thank you so much for sharing the information about Vivian. I learned a lot from what you said and from the CHARGE website. I can see what an education you received in the last year.
I am sure you will, but please post the exact dates that Vivian will have surgery. I'll start my prayer chain here in WI (it extends much farther than this state though).
Please know that as I read what you wrote and read the CHARGE website, I saw a lot of commonalities. I know you are in a good place now, but I also understand where you've been. I just wanted you to know that there is someone out there who understands what you have gone through and what you are going through. I am thinking of you!
You are a wonderful MOM and you have a beautiful daughter. I can see what joy she brings to you. Just always remember to take "one day at a time" and you'll get by just fine.
Sara
Thanks for sharing... we can't wait to see Vivi again... we always chant/pray for her and you two too.
Besos miles para mi sobrina!
hannah;
yes yes thank you for sharing. I love you three and wish you much happiness.
Have I told you lately that I think you are amazing.
xo
g
I know that if we lived near each other, we'd be getting together for coffee or lunch and for cammeraderie (I hope I spelled that right).
For now, I'll just have to sip my coffee while reading your blog. :) Perhaps someday we'll meet in person and have the girls play with each other.
I know what you mean about what a blessing the internet has been. I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone in my feelings and happenings. Sometimes my breath is taken away when someone writes about a feeling I know I have felt, but haven't been able to put to words.
Thank YOU for your kinds words. I appreciate them as well! Bless you, sweet Vivian, and Vince.
Sara
Hannah, I agree- You are amazing. Thanks for sharing with us. I can't believe the journey you have been on- your strength is so inspiring! Vivian has made great strides this year--she has your strength! Little Miss Vivian is so blessed to be a part of your family & we are so blessed to be Miss Vivian's friends.
Hannah,
Vivian and I have something in common. We have mothers that no matter the circumstances always saw what their daughters could become. You must love your girl to pieces, and that love will carry you through it all.
Lisa
i am a charger as we call oruselves in charge land ive been following ur blog since i found you on might maxes pblog and i found your comment i jstu had to go check otu the sweety if you want to put any charge links in ur blog on the side feel free to put mine jsut go into my blog and get the link of the address there its ellen charge is the name and theres two ones but the msot charge one is the top one i dont relaly use the other one:) many hugs and kisses ellen in aus
i love watching you and vivian together. there is something magical about relationships that bring out the best in each other and i think you and vivi do that for each other. hannah, i hope you know how amazing you are!
:) Come to the conference next summer! You will meet a lot of people who will fall in love with little Viv (if they haven't already...like me. teehee)
You are such a wonderful Mom and you impress and amaze me everyday! Giant Hugs to Vivi!
Hannah, thanks for telling us details about Vivian's medical challenges and for the link to the CHARGE website. I had no idea you were dealing with so many complicated issues at once - it must be so overwhelming!
Viv is SO LUCKY to have such an involved, intelligent, cheerful, dedicated, loving, resourceful mother!! She is blessed indeed.
We send our love.
Hannah:
I know you are a wonderful family. Thanks for taking time out to keep up on this blog for those of us who don't have one and putting Charge out there. Great photos, great music (Sia?! cool!) and great inspiration. You, Vince and Viv will continue through this with flying colors. You know you have my/our support!!
I'm glad you found the listserv and Foundation - both huge sources of support for me in the past 10 years.
It isn't easy getting what seems to be such an all-encompassing diagnosis but know that you are now part of a huge family who will support & rally behind you 100%!
The next big conference is in Chicago next summer, hope to meet you guys in person there!
Lisa & Kennedy xo
PS - we would love to be on your blogroll, too. Miss Vivian is now added as one of Kennedy's friends..:)
Hannah,
You're an amazing woman blessed with an amazing family!
We will continue to pray for Vivian's health, but if there's anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to let us know.
Darrin & Donna
Post a Comment