1.13.2009

J in J : Lake Lag


After Viv's appointment this morning, we wandered around Stanford campus for a couple of hours, narrowly avoiding collisions with students on bikes and merging with the kids as they poured out of classrooms, dismissed by professors of this or that. It was downright hot today (I promise I'm not rubbing it in, friends with snow) and I was quickly overheated and sticky and a little dewy (if you know what I mean).

We made our way over to Lake Lagunita (which is rarely a lake, and is usually a dry valley) and had a picnic in the shade of the oak tree, listening to birds and airplanes and joggers. Lake Lag is a special place for Vince and me, and I hope Vivian grows up enjoying adventures there, too.

When we finally made it back to the car, it told me it was 78 degrees out. And when I got home today, I realized it was a day shy of a year ago that our little family enjoyed our first outing as a family. Simple joy in the sunshine; I'm not sure anything beats that.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Have I told you how much I love "Joy in January?"
I do... I really do! :-)

Happy "Family Outing" Anniversary!

Love,
Kristi

Crystal M. said...

I know you were not trying to make us trapped in the snow feel bad but I am so hoping spring comes soon!!!
Keep enjoying your wonderful days and outings.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

greta ott said...

Hannah:
you are so amazing. you two are pretty cute.
xo
g

Little Miss Evie said...

Yeah for Joy in January posts!! They always brighten our day!!
Heather and Eve

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah...let me know when you're next on campus, even if it's last minute...it would be fun to join you & miss vivian for lunch or a walk :-). My work # is 736-1956. xoxo Susan

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

It's 9 degrees here today, with wind chills below zero, so I'm just going to imagine in my mind that I'm there at Lake Lag with you and Vivian, in the 78 degree heat. Aahh! Springtime, please come soon!

Sara said...

What a lovely outing! And I'd love to be basking in the sun...and warmth right now.

I was thinking the other night that you and I should do a switch, kind of like the movie "The Holiday." You could experience WI and I could experience CA. However, then I realized I still wouldn't meet you. :)

Thank you for your encouraging words last night. I know you have been in similar shoes so it was so nice to receive your sympathy. I loved every word you wrote. Thank you!

Love, Sara