We're on our third day of downright spring-like weather in Northern California. It's amazing. Like, too hot in long sleeves amazing. I promise I'm not trying to rub it in, I'm just making the point that it has been pretty easy to find joy in January when it hardly seems like January at all.
This afternoon landed us at our neighborhood park, where Vivian happily played in the sand with her sorting bucket and shovels for an hour. Very joyful.
In other joyful, but photo-less news, we had our first speech therapy session for Vivian at the Oral School for the Deaf this morning. We got a tour of the school, and Vivian and I were introduced to children and teachers in different classrooms. When we got to the older kids (pre-k; they'll transition to traditional kindergartens next year), they went around the room and introduced themselves. They spoke in beautiful sentences, telling us about the mittens they had cut out that morning. They told us if they had hearing aids or cochlear implants or both. And I cried (some very joyful [and covert] tears, mind you) to hear these beautiful children speak so beautifully as I held my Vivian. I know there are no guarentees in life, but hope is everything. And this morning was full of stunningly gorgeous hope. And that is joyful, for sure.
1.12.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Oh Hannah! That is so wonderful! Sometimes seeing really is believing, as cheesy as that sounds! Was this school in Sunnyvale? I know there is a very large School for the Deaf in Fremont in a really beautiful setting and I always wondered how many there were around.
Amy, it's actually in Redwood City - literally down the hill a few blocks from where I used to teach! I used to drive by it all the time, and - teacher nerd that I am - always wondered about how deaf children were taught to speak, what there classrooms and teachers were like, etc. All this wondering was when Viv was just a twinkle in my eye...but today I got to see for myself, with Viv on my hip!
That is so exciting! How often will she have sessions?
5 times a month, one on one speech therapy sessions. She won't be eligible to join in their classroom program until she can walk...now I'm longing for her to walk in a totally new light, but that's a way off yet.
When I started to read your post I was thinking of some snide comment I could make about your weather--it is going to be -20 to -40 here in Wisconsin this week! I am cold just typing that! I could use a little spring weather...I guess I'll have to live vicariously through your pictures in the park. :)
However, then I read the rest of your post and was brought to tears. Isn't it amazing how happy we can be for our children--for our children to have opportunities that Vivian will have? I have A LOT of hope for Vivian and Madeline! Think about what those kiddos taught you today and what Vivian is doing for us that are reading your blog and know her. Lot 'o learning being done--how proud you should be.
Hugs, Sara
So, I love this post, Hannah! I know exactly how you feel about the visit today! :-)
And... yipee for Viv getting to go to therapy at a school! Everything was in our home for so many years due to health! I LOVE that she's getting all this exposure to people and places... and very soon lots of other kids!
John and I both had tears in our eyes the first time we visited our old DHOH preschool. It's a TC (Total Communication) class... is that what this class was? Or are they not signing in there?
Also LOVE the new stroller, you ingenious and inspired Mama! :-)
In reading your comments here, I have a BIG question about the walking requirement. My ADA hat went on (Americans with Disabilities Act) and I'd like to better understand why she has to be walking...? And how, legally, they can require that...? Please explain :-)
K - good question, and don't think ADA didn't pop into my head - it did. As much as I love this school (after our one visit:-)), I'm also aware it may not be the best match for Vivian when it comes to preschool choices in the future, given that her needs reach beyond just being hard of hearing. They don't have PTs or OTs, etc. on staff. For now, I will enjoy getting to know the school and their perspective (it's not TC, it's all oral language - which may or may not be appropriate for Viv's needs) as we happen to have our sessions in this setting.
In the meantime, our therapist is AMAZING - very developmental; I love the way she interacts with Viv and me; and she has given me so much hands on help with the hearing aid situation since we met her in November.
Any other things I should be thinking of/exploring? You're my go-to girl, and I am always so thankful for your input/ideas...
hannah, i seem to always love the comments of all your friends and feel lucky to add my hello to the rest. a hopeful bunch...and hope is so powerful, thank you for sharing yours
Post a Comment