Well. Let me just catch my breath.
I just completed my fourth week of the Couch-to-5K Running Plan, although I like to call it Couch Potato to 5K, or CP5K for short. It's on my 2008 list and my goal is to run 3 miles by the end of the 9-week program.
I just completed my fourth week of the Couch-to-5K Running Plan, although I like to call it Couch Potato to 5K, or CP5K for short. It's on my 2008 list and my goal is to run 3 miles by the end of the 9-week program.
I've done this running program and another like it twice or thrice before at the gym. Since I'm an outside exerciser now, often with babe in jogging stroller, I am using these podcasts (brought to my attention by a blog I read). These podcasts rock my world. A nice man narrates, telling me when to walk, when to run, how many minutes are left in the run that feels like f-o-r-e-v-e-r. He even says encouraging words: You're doing great. Pace yourself. Only a minute left. Nice guy.
And so, I am on my way. Huffing and puffing. Running does not come naturally to me. And let me be clear: what I do is hardly a run, it's more a jog. Scratch that, I think it's fair to say that my jog is more of a bounce.And while I am doing this program in part to deal with my post-pregnancy muffin top issues, I am mostly doing it for Vivian. 2 reasons:
1. I was blessed to be born with a healthy body. By pushing myself to do something that's hard for me (but good for my heart and my mind and maybe even that muffin top I mentioned), I feel like I'm honoring this gift, just a little.
2. Vivian is working so hard on becoming stronger. Gross motor skills that come fairly easily for most babies are struggles for Miss Viv for a variety of reasons. So, it's important for me to put myself in her shoes a bit: to taste the struggle and the hard physical work and the little goals met along the way.
Each time I've worked on this running program in the past, there was one day when my body just kept on running. Even when it was time to take a break and walk. Three miles, boom. My body had just decided it was ready to do it.
In a culture where a lot of well-meaning parents get all twitchy when their child isn't _______ (insert skill here) yet, it's easy to get caught up in shoulds. But I think back to what I would tell my students' parents--parents who were so worried that their child would read at this level by this time because the kid over there is already reading chapter books! My main message to them was: Do all children crawl at the same time? Walk? Talk? Your child will learn to read. We're doing all the right things. Keep it joyful. It will come. (And if it doesn't, we'll get some extra help.) And that was the magic of first grade. Kids who weren't last week all of the sudden were. You can't force that magic. It is beautiful and organic.
I keep this in mind with Vivian's development. Given some practice, a little help from a physical therapist and lots of happy playtime, she'll do it when she's ready. There is no forcing development. She'll do it when she's ready. And we'll make sure there's lots of time for raspberry blowing, laughing and smiling along the way.
Though this mama is not so good at raspberry blowing, laughing and smiling while huffing and puffing. I'll work on that, though.
*More accurately, Bounce Hannah Bounce


6 comments:
way too go! you are on fire - and i love it!
This is so inspiring :)
Go, Hannah!! you can so do it. And, I love Run, Lola, Run. And I love the Weepies. I often run to the Weepies. =) Thanks for visiting me!
GO HANNAH! You amaze me!
Keep up the good work for you and for Vivian....before you know it, we'll be running the Dish!
Your determination and "Stick-to-it-iveness" to getting healthy is very inpsiring to me Hannah!
Post a Comment