7.12.2013

Two Things


Vivian is back at her first school for summer camp.  It's a place that will always be special to us for many reasons.  In our three years there, we navigated so many unknowns.  I shed a lot of tears (both happy and heartachey) between that school's walls because I was surrounded by people with whom I could exhale and openly share my fears and heartaches without being dismissed as a worrier of a mother.  Vivian practiced keeping her hearing aids in, she learned to listen and talk.  She crawled and scooted and took first steps there.  So many moments that are such an important part of our story happened at JW.

Today at morning music a young man named Justin spoke to the kids.  He wears one cochlear implant and one hearing aid.  He attended this school when he was little and now he's a high school teacher and a dad. He was so tender and engaging with the children.  He shared two things that he wanted them to remember (and I want to make sure we do):
one: if you can't hear your teacher, tell her
two: you're perfect just as you are.

Cue more tears shed between those walls.  I'm crying now just thinking about it.  Vivian's teacher, who was sitting on the stage with Justin, said she could see Vivian hanging on his every word.

This morning filled my heart with gratitude and once again, I could feel myself exhaling.


2 comments:

Auntie Sarah said...

thats a beautiful experience, hannah! im glad she can be back at her old stomping grounds, and that they have encouraging and inspirational speakers like that young man. Vivian IS perfect the way she was made. No question about. She inspires Me with all of her lioness courage and determination she has exhibited in her few years on Earth! I love my Niece Soooooo much! <3

David said...

Now I have tears in my eyes. You always write so beautifully Hannah. I am sorry that you won't be in Scottsdale with us later this week - Viv would be such a tonic for those very young parents still trying to negotiate those early challenges. Happy thoughts from San Francisco. (...and I promise to raise a Gin & Tonic to you).