6.07.2013

Graduation

Out girlie graduated from preschool.  I have to admit that I always did a little eyeroll at "graduation" ceremonies for preschoolers or kindergartners that involved caps and gowns.  But then last week came- and there's my Vivian, beaming in a cap and gown and suddenly it's the sweetest thing ever.

Vivian's teacher made the ceremony so special and meaningful.  The kids sang sweet songs like "So Long, Farewell" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "It's a Small World".  They shared what they wanted to be when they grew up (Viv said a teacher and a mom) and then Vivian's teacher made a prediction based on what she knew about them (Connie predicted Vivian would be a writer or editor and a mom).  

It was a culmination of the last four years of our family's school life.  Preschool has been a lovely bubble - one where people taught me about having a hearing impaired daughter; people have grieved with me and celebrated with me and gifted me perspective and hope.   I have experienced spoken and unspoken empathy, understanding and support from people whose own journeys intersected with ours.  

We're leaving this beloved bubble for mainstream kindergarten.  Vivian is ready. But I just have to celebrate how special her years of preschool have been for her - and for me.
 

9 comments:

Calyn said...

She is the cutest little graduate I have ever seen:)

Erin L said...

So Sweet! I completely agree about the cap and gown... I always thought it was a little much, but Viv rocks it!

karolina said...

Congratulations to Viv! Wonderful pic of the three of you too. :)

smorrow said...

Congrats Vivian! She looks so happy and proud.

Molly said...

Way to go Miss Vivian! You're going to love Kindergarten!

David said...

I am probably the world's biggest eye-roller when it comes to anyone 'graduating' before they get a college degree, but I adored reading this and seeing the photographs. Your words made me think - what did they ever get from me on my one visit??? Easy to answer - a huge laugh! I still have never had such a hilarious, anarchic first visit to meet a child ever.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AmyK said...

Yay Vivian! Congrtulations! xo

AmyK said...

Yay Vivian! Congrtulations! xo