When life is hitting me from all angles you will hear me say
"Serenity now!".
(It's a very popular sentiment between 5:00 and 7:00 each evening.)
It's a Seinfeld reference and saying it makes me feel better.
Oh, yes it does!
(Try it!)
(See what I mean?!)
It has been a tough week. I have hit a wall.
(I just re-read this - you know I mean "hit a wall" figuratively, not literally, right? I promise I'm not walking around hitting walls!)
(I just re-read this - you know I mean "hit a wall" figuratively, not literally, right? I promise I'm not walking around hitting walls!)
I have had some mommy lows.
Oh, yes I have!
(And they were low.)
(Ick.)
But we have rallied.
I have apologized, given myself some attitude checks, taken a time out or two.
(Just to clarify, those time outs were for me.)
I have had some snippets of time with some of my favorite mommies this week:
on the phone, texting, while working on a fundraiser, while eating lunch, in the 100% humidity of an indoor pool...
It has let me commiserate and start to reflect and process.
I feel like I have little to no quiet time to reflect and process about my life.
(I am so classically introverted and I need my quiet time!)
I have a child who never stops talking (and I'm so thankful, but man, oh man!) and a baby who doesn't really nap (working on it).
BUT...
(there's always a but!):
A baby boy is asleep for an afternoon nap.
I had a haircut today (first time since February) and then lunch and a snickerdoodle cupcake with my parents!
I am so thankful for Vivian's teacher - I'm learning so much from her.
I think I might have enough energy to tackle some laundry (maybe).
Vivian just came out of quiet time looking like this and I'm in love with ALL OF IT:

4 comments:
- Love the ensemble, Viv.
- I call that time of day (5-7pm) "the witching hours"
- We ALL have those days... and sometimes they turn into an entire week. It's the icky part of motherhood that no one discusses until you're in the throes of it.
The key, I have learned (er, am still learning), is to find the silver lining in something... the smallest of good things in that day... just as you did, and run with it. Those everyday, miraculous moments are fuel for the mama-soul.
- In addition to your timeouts, apologies, tiny bits of self-refuel with friends, etc., the other key in the process is to forgive yourself. You are an amazing mama... you work so hard... you have the biggest, most selfless heart... and... you are human. Forgive yourself, let it go, learn from it, and know that, at some point (unfortunately... but just being honest), you will have days like this again and be better equipped to get through them.
xoxo
OH that means she likes the tutu I made her! These were my favorite photos of the girls when they put together their own special outfits. Kiss those kids for me.
Yes, these too are the witching hours in my home! As well as my "serenity now" moments - loooove seinfeld.
Thank you, my friend, for sharing your heart with us. This post made me feel better about where I'm at. You are not alone. Know that I am seriously right there with you with very similar feelings.
I am just so inspired by you, and think you are one of the most incredible mamas I know.
Lots of love to you,
V
Post a Comment