9.09.2011

Dear Vivian {4}


My Dear Vivian,

You are four years old.  (Actually, four years and one month today because everything takes me longer these days.)

I have been reveling and reflecting on your four-ness.  You are, more than ever in your young life, stepping out as your own person.  A year ago you had just learned to walk and were really starting to communicate.  This year you run, stomp and dawdle as you express, demand, compliment and joke.  Frankly, it can be exhausting.  But it is always exhilarating.  I am thankful to my core each day that you are feisty, strong and spunky enough to individuate.  I love who you are and who you are becoming.



 
  
You remain a lover of books.  The other day I heard you reading Goldilocks and the Three Bears during quiet time and you were using a deep, gruff voice for Papa Bear, a sweet, mature voice for Mama Bear and a teeny, tiny voice for Baby Bear.  It was awesome.  I like to imagine us sitting in beach chairs on the lake, a stack of novels between us, reading the day away, in about ten years. 
You love Bear.  Bear is nursed, swaddled, read to, fed, celebrated, put in tummy time, sung to, rocked and very loved.  The Original Bear had a run-in with an open window on the freeway shortly after Luke was born.  I was surprised you weren't more brokenhearted about this loss. You told us he was just at Disneyland.  You two were 'reunited' on your birthday and we are all so happy Bear is back home again.

  
You love your brother so very much.  You are so tender with him.  You talk about "when Luke is tall" and how you'll go to Disneyland with him and ride the merry-go-round.  (Luke will ride a purple horse.)  I love that you think about your future with him.  The other day you called him your 'baby boy Luke friend.'  You encourage him, celebrate him and teach him. 

Some other tidbits I want to remember -  you:

are potty trained

ask me to tell you the story about when you were born and when Luke was born all.the.time and I love to oblige

have finally been introduced to Abba (I consider it a major downfall in my mothering that this is such a recent development).  'Dancing Queen' and 'Mama Mia' are favorites.

are taking private swim lessons and love it

call lemonade 'nemonade' and love to make it but don't really care about drinking it

love going to Ikea

love going to doctor visits

set the table for yourself at dinner

love going to school

are finally waking up at 7:00 in the morning or later (after years of early morning wake ups)

will come up to me, give me a big hug and say "Oh, Mommy, I love you sososososososososoooooo much!"  Be still my mamaheart.

 
 I love you, my sweet Vivian.  Sososososososososososo much.

Mommy

6 comments:

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Happy (belated) 4th birthday, Vivian! You have grown into such a sweet and mature little lady in the past four years. I hope the next year is even more fun!

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th Birthday Vivian! You are such an adorable little girl and I love reading your Mommy's blog.
Love from Wisconsin (Sara and Maddie's aunt Karen / thinkpinkalicious)

Susannah said...

i love this post and hearing your mama heart- and love that sweet girl, viv. (were you able to get those bday pics i linked?)

Sara said...

Dear Vivian,

You inspire us. You have been for three years and you continue to do so.

We like you!

Love, Sara and Madeline

Molly said...

Happy birthday Miss Vivian! Four is fantastic!

Kristi said...

Hannah,
I love your mamaheart and all that you share with us... and I love your sweet, smart, kind, sassy girl and all her "4-ness" sosososososososososo much!
:-)