8.31.2011

Word

 

Long ago  (somewhere on the great wide internet) I read this quote by Helen Hunt.  It's been on my mind a lot lately as I reflect on just how much I set the tone for our days. 

“[Parenthood] gives me real motivation to try and be the person I want to be. You tell them to be patient. But they’ll do what you do and not what to say. If I want her to be relaxed, I have to be relaxed. Or at least try as hard as I can to seem relaxed. If I want her to be patient, I have to be patient. If I want her to be kind, I have to be kind. I have a deep wish for her to be happy and serene, and it makes me want to do everything I can to be happy and serene.”

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Lovely... so very true... and a great reminder that I need to take a good, long look in the mirror during my exasperated moments in the day!

Molly said...

That's a great quote! It reminds me of the song "Children Will Listen" from the musical "Into the Woods". I love to listen to that song to try to remind me to watch everything I do and say because they're watching and listening to everything.

Erin L said...

Thank you for this excellent truth. I am so aware of this as well lately. It's sobering and empowering if we can embrace it and not get overwhelmed.

I'm short on sleep this week so this is an excellent reminder to be intentional in all I do. And to look to God for my strength -- on my own I so often fall short, but when I look for Him, He lifts me up and gives me exactly what I need.

angie said...

so lovely -- as are you! it was such fun to see you!

Susannah said...

what wisdom! i do find that when i take a deep breath in my most frustrating mom moments, my children chill out too.

aka-mama said...

so true! and with a rough start to the school year its a good reminder for me in the classroom!

love the pics of you two snuggling!

Catherine L said...

absolutely gorgeous!!!!