A family I babysat for when I was in college had this "How to Really Love a Child" card hanging in their home. When Viv and I were watercoloring the other day it randomly popped into my mind. It's out of print so I couldn't buy it (bummer, but see Sark's original below). Some of it is silly, some of it is a little hippy-trippy, some of it touches my heart...
Favorites: Let them bang on pots and pans ♥ Realize how important it is to be a child ♥ Go to the movie theatre in your pajamas♥ Invent pleasures together ♥Remember how really small they are ♥Bake a cake and eat it with no hands♥ Reveal your own dreams ♥Encourage silly ♥Paint their tennis shoes ♥ Handle with caring


9 comments:
Love it! wear pjs to the movies... eat cake with no hands are some fun ones. and plant licorice in the garden? that is a Good idea!
you will be so proud of me...i took soph and oli to the movies afterschool in the fall- it was pj day at school-so we all went in our pj's! even preteen had fun with that! i too remember this from my babysitting days- good reminders.
You're kidding me...I LOVE SARK (bought a lot of her books in college) but have never seen this! How magical (as are all of her things, aren't they?). I would love to meet her someday!!!
I love Sark!
'express your love - a lot'
'encourage silly'
Love it!
(you are a GREAT mama who knows how to love well!)
Ooooo....I love this too, Hannah! Thanks for posting it. I was proud to see some things on there are things I have done with Madeline. We need to do a few more though. :)
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!
Hannah,
That is such a great rememinder that most of the greatest parts of parenting have nothing to do with your child reaching certain milestones "on time". The greatest joy of parenting is loving your child for who they are and letting them feel that love every day. I just loved that. I think I need to hang it in my house!
Mary
Absolutely, positively LOVE that! Thanks for sharing. Those words will be in our "renewed" play area very soon!
Post a Comment