1.28.2010

J in J : La-lo!

Today's joyful moment was bittersweet - we said goodbye to Vivian's wonderful physical therapist whom we initially met two years ago at Vivian's intake assessment for services (Viv was just a babe in arms).  There are lots of changes in how services are being provided here in California...and because of that, today was a sad goodbye (I'm still in denial).  We have been so blessed to have such a kind-hearted, fun, innovative and skilled teacher for Vivian and me.  We'll miss you so much, "La-lo!"

7 comments:

Auntie Sarah said...

Oh, I am really sorry to hear that. Does that mean no PT services are paid for at ALL?

hannah m said...

We'll go through insurance. Hoping we can get reimbursed for her therapies at an in-network rate even though there are no in-network pediatric PTs or STs. :-)

joan said...

oh hannah, i am so sorry to hear. your pictures are great!! and the last one captures such a lovely bond!!

insurance/reimbursement/in network....sounds like a "shitfest" all on its own!!

Kristi said...

I have thoughts... I swear I will get them in an email this weekend. Have you started in with your insurance yet?

This post, while beautiful for the love that you can see and the amazing strides Viv has made, makes me so sad. And angry. And disappointed. The most vulnerable people (children and adults) are being punished because of our state's fiscal mismanagement. The system is failing kids like Viv... who are in need of services, without question, but are not "enough in need" to warrant the state's involvement... whether that be by financial determination or because her needs (by their estimation/critereon) are not "profound" enough.

The fact that co-pays cannot be covered by RC is astounding... you (H+V) are being "punished" for having insurance and Viv is being punished by losing a team that is clearly doing so well by her.

It's mind boggling to know that there are parents who, because of the state's policies on when/how to fund services, have actually divorced for the sake of the child's ability to obtain/qualify for services. What kind message is this sending...?

Okay... off my soapbox until I email you... this wasn't a productive soapbox... just a rant. I promise I'll try to be more productive in my email :-)

Sending you love, friend, and dreams of Hawaii...

The Claytons said...

Sorry to hear that the service is being taken away from ya'll. The last picture is so sweet!

Kim

p.s. I agree w/ Kristi with everything she said and I myself have been told to divorce to get more services!

Crystal M. said...

It always hard when we have to say goodbye to therapists who just get it. It took me months the find the right PT again for Eva and then she left us for a new job but she LOVES Eva still. She now works at Eva's school and can see her all the time (she just doesnt work with Eva). Then it took me almost a year to find anther PT we liked. Now we are REALLY happy again and Eva loves her.
Good luck I hope you find the perfect match soon.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Susannah said...

lovely pictures- the last two are just BEAUTIFUL. my heart is heavy for you. and i agree with kristi's rant- which sounded more like wise words to me.

xo to you this weekend my friend.