11.15.2009

The Love Boat

You don't often see Vince in a suit, but Viv's school benefit brought it out of retirement last night (Viv didn't come with us, but we took a family picture before we left, since she's the wonderful reason for it all):

The benefit was a huge success - I was inspired, moved by people's generous and supportive spirits and filled with a giant dose of hope. Amazing. It was such a stunning evening.

When the director of our school introduced a video called A Journey of Hope, she talked about how a journey is usually something we prepare and plan for - something we look forward to. Our school is full of families who never planned for this journey. And yet there we were last night: laughing, crying (happy tears), hoping, connecting, supported and supporting.

As Vince and I browsed the silent auction tables, we came across this sweet and familiar face:

Dear friends whom I used to teach with made a generous donation to the school in Vivian's name. This special poster decorated one of the tables. I was completely surprised and so, so touched. (I don't really have the words.) These are people who have supported my family in so many different ways since Miss Viv arrived over two years ago. Thank you, thank you.

Thank you to all of you, dear friends and blog readers, who continue to support us in so many ways, whether it be donating to Viv's school, loving my Vivian so well, celebrating little and big steps along the way, encouraging us, cheering us on...you remind me each day of the goodness in this world.

12 comments:

Laura said...

What a beautiful family photo and I love that your friends donated to the school in honor of your daughter. I'll say it again, I love your blog. It's a sweet and touching glimpse into your lives. Thank you for letting me sneak a little peek.

Anonymous said...

You and your little Vivian have touched me in so many ways. I have laughed and cried reading your blog. Bless you and your family.
Love from Wisconsin,
Sara and Maddie's Aunt Karen

Erin said...

Beautiful family photo. You guys look great! And I'm so glad to hear the benefit went well.

Love,
Erin

Jen L. said...

Yay for a successful benefit! That is awesome!! And ditto to what Erin said about your picture. That one is a framer. :)

The Claytons said...

That is such a beautiful family photo! What a neat event that you were able to attend yesterday and the sweet surprise you found! Thank you for sharing your sweet little girl for everyone to come peek in on!

Kim

Susannah said...

oh goodness- here i am, as usual, tearing up. it was a wonderful night- i was welling up from gratitude. love that your friends donated and supported viv in yet another way. what a gift to be on this journey together- even when the details may vary. xo (ps matt & i are swapping. i will be there thurs, not tomorrow, so we can talk glee!!!)

aka-mama said...

yay! How I love a surprise! So glad the night was such a success! Can't wait to hear what you will be baking! hee hee!

Sara said...

Thank YOU Hannah for sharing sweet Viv and yourself with us! I learn from you in every post you write!

What a wonderful gift your colleagues gave you and Vivian's school! It's inspiring!

Kristi said...

What a wonderful family photo... so much joy in your eyes. The sparkle in Viv's eyes just beams out of this photo!
You look beautiful, Hannah! And, Vince, you look very handsome in your semi-retired suit!

I am so happy that the benefit was so successful and inspiring. The way you described the emotions of the evening is very similar to how we feel at the CHARGE Conferences.

Such a beautiful gesture from your former colleauges, Hannah. It's a testament to the lasting effect you have (and Viv, too!) on the lives of people you've encountered along your life's journey.

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Love this family photo of all of you! I just love Vivian's expression! :-)

Glad the school benefit was such a success. What a sweet gesture from your former co-workers! One of the most inspiring things about this journey we're on is seeing the generosity and goodness of all the amazing people in our lives.

aka-mama said...

p.s. i think that is a great Christmas card picture!

Crystal M. said...

What a wonderful thing for someone to do for Vivian and her school.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva