Viv's been hearing with hearing aids for six months. Her speech therapist determined January 2009 is Vivian's "hearing birthday" because that was when she started speech therapy and when I had the much-needed support to ramp up Vivian's hearing aid wearing each day.
In the space of six months, Vivian has gone from a hearing aid puller to a hearing aid wearer (mostly); she has moved from newly babbling to speaking words; she has become a listener - words, birds, airplanes and music; she understands; she makes connections.
It is, quite frankly, amazing to me that Vivian can hear an airplane in the sky. It is amazing that she looks up to try and spot it flying overhead. I am floored that she says "a-la", her word for airplane, as she scans the sky looking for the object that makes the sound. It is amazing to me that Vivian hears the crow squawk in our backyard tree, says "buh" (bird) and signs it, and then imitates the sound of the crow, which sends us into a fit of giggles. It is amazing to me that the second Viv hears Vince's key in the door each night, her hand goes to her ear ("I hear that!") and she smiles HUGE and says "Dada!" looking toward the front door before he comes into view.
It is not amazing because I didn't believe Vivian would do these things. I have always believed that Vivian will reach her highest potential- whether that included speaking or listening...or not. It is amazing because it's not a given. It is amazing because pre-Vivian, the thought never crossed my mind that my baby wouldn't have access to the world around her from the get-go.
Vivian's hearing aids help her to hear. As she wears them, she learns to listen.
I am learning to listen, too. I didn't have to actively learn to listen when I was her age - that world was open to me from the moment I entered this earth. But now I have the gift of re-learning: layers of sound in the world around me, a growing collection of word approximations, enthusiasm through it all - amazing. There are no absolutes about what lies ahead - but to look forward to it - whatever it may be - is another gift I treasure.
Happy 6 month hearing birthday, sweet girl.
7.16.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
As always, I so much value hearing your perspective, Hannah...you're a wise and wonderful woman! xo Susan
Lovely, Hannah.
This part especially rings true with me: "It is amazing because it's not a given. It is amazing because pre-Vivian, the thought never crossed my mind that my baby wouldn't have access to the world around her from the get-go."
Exactly. Just think of how much more we can learn from and gain joy from our children because there are no givens!
Micah's just entering the "puller" stage. He thinks it's hilarious!
It is amazing to see Miss Vivian point to her ear, look for the plane, sign and say airplane... amazing! I am always amazed at Miss Vivian's growth each time we visit! She is amazing and so is her Mama! Thanks for sharing your wonderful perspective Hannah!
Vivian is amazing because she has an amazing mother!
Hannah, I LOVE your words! Another stellar post!!
hannah, i always so much appreciate your words and thoughts. it is amazing how much we take for granted or assume until we have the opportunity to learn a new way. i have never paid attention to the sound of the airplane - until monrovia couldn't hear it. now i swear i hear every one. and so many other sounds that i didn't internalize. there are so many small and big celebrations in the journey of life/parenthood. congratulations on teh persistence it takes for her to go from puller to wearer- that takes A LOT of energy and patience mama!
"the gift of relearning" so well put!
Hannah, I am so inspired by yur blog to be a better mother and teacher. Your words are graceful and succinct.Blog to book? It's in your future Hannah. :) Denise
"It is not amazing because I didn't believe Vivian would do these things. I have always believed that Vivian will reach her highest potential- whether that included speaking or listening...or not. It is amazing because it's not a given. It is amazing because pre-Vivian, the thought never crossed my mind that my baby wouldn't have access to the world around her from the get-go."
This is one of many reasons that I truly love you, Hannah.
It's amazing that, even though we are at very different points in this journey and our roads are quite different, they do intersect very often - - whether in thought, circumstance, or simply by our sisterhood.
This post, this six month hearing birthday for Viv, comes as we are dealing with so many pieces of "hearing" information (yet again) for Miss Gracie.
My head spins as we try to navigate some very complicated waters on that front - - only to come here, read this and find your very wise perspective - - which gives me strength to stand on my two mama feet and look to my own heart (instead of arguing the science) to advocate for my girl. I know... what am I talking about? It's a long story (as are most things with us right now... thus, the blogger ban... I just can't deal!).
As usual, I digress. Thank you... is what I was trying to say.
Thank you for inspiring me, for moving me, for "speaking" to me in your posts.
Post a Comment