7.14.2009

Oxygen Mask



We dropped Viv off at my parents' on Saturday and hopped up to the city for a night away. We celebrated Vince's birthday by walking up and down the Embarcadero; stopping at Blue Bottle Coffee in the Ferry Building for a macchiato; taxi-ing it to the Mission for drinks at a dive bar, a delicious dinner and dessert from my favorite ice cream shop; sleeping in and waking up to a gorgeous, clear day in one of my favorite cities on the planet, followed by more Blue Bottle Coffee (cappuccino this time) and brunch. We picked up Vivian - so happy after playing with Grandma and Grandpa for 24 hours - feeling refueled and rejuvenated.

The image of putting my own oxygen mask on first has been on my mind since I read this article a couple of months ago. 24 hours with just Vince every once in a while, making Vivian's nap times my time to be creative or lazy or quiet, waking up extra early some mornings just to sip coffee as the sun comes up - these are examples of putting on my own oxygen mask first - and help me keep vital balance in my life.

9 comments:

Susannah said...

this is so great- and TRUE. and it's amazing how those moments fuel you to be a better mom (and wife and friend and all-around you...)

we should meet at sfmoma sometime and go to the blue bottle on the roof!

Karen said...

I don't know you but yet I feel I've known you for years...I love who you are.
Sara and Maddie's Aunt Karen

LisaAnn said...

I need to take those words to heart. Just celebrated 10th anniversary with a dinner with both girls. We asked for the check with our meal just in case we had to make a quick escape. You are so wise.

AmyK said...

You are indeed wise, my friend. I am impressed at how in-tune you are and how you truly 'stop and smell the roses' whereas I feel like I often forget roses even exist. So glad you were able to stop and take a well deserved deep breath!

Crystal M. said...

Lovely!!! I am glad u were able to have some time out together.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Anonymous said...

You're the best, Hannah! xoxo Susan

brandonsmom said...

awww, i love that you guys take time to be together. we haven't had 24 hours alone since b was born! :)

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Hannah, I'm so glad you and Vince got to have a night away in the city for Vince's birthday--it sounds amazing!

Kristi said...

Ahhh... this is so true, my friend. Probably one of the bigger reasons that my life is so out of balance right now! Don't get enough time to put on my own mask first... and haven't had a real date with my husband in well over 18 months. Prior to the current circumstances, however, we were big on putting on our own oxygen masks... it's so vital... and when you can't do it, it catches up to you (and those who live with you!).

Thank you for sharing these wonderful words of wisdom.