4.07.2009

Little Earthquakes


Photo by CL at Deer Hollow Farm

Early on, I resigned myself to being in the
dark on all but the most important things,
she said, & it's not such a bad thing because you
don't see a lot of the stuff you usually get anxious about.
-Brian Andreas
(I get a daily Story People email, and there have been a lot of good ones lately. Can't stop quoting him.)

Of the many, many questions Vince and I were asked on Vivian's pre-op day before her heart surgery, the one I remember most is "Do you want to know as much information as possible or just the minimum about Vivian's recovery in the CVICU?"

I am a big picture girl. I enjoy details insomuch as they help me get to the big idea, the main goal. Otherwise? Not so much. In the case of the CVICU question, I deferred to Vince, who loves all bits of information and has the ability to process, file and retrieve all those details.

Last week we had Vivian's cochlear implant consultation. After over three hours of baby wrangling, manically singing "Wheels on the Bus" to turn a fussy babe into a smiling one and doling out snacks in the midst of trying to do behavioral hearing tests and talking with the wonderful audiologist and then the kind-hearted doctor, we walked away understanding that Vivian's not a candidate at this time.

Though we would have only considered an implant for her left ear (severe-profound loss), the hearing in her right ear is currently helped enough by her hearing aid that she's not a candidate for a CI unless her hearing deteriorates (a possibility in CHARGE) or her speech development stalls down the road.

During our consultation with the CI doctor, he pulled up Vivian's CT scan from a year ago. This CT scan was used to confirm Vivian's choanal atresia (blocked nose) last year but I had asked for it to include cuts that showed her ear structure, as atypical anatomy is very common with a CHARGE diagnosis. For a year, I have asked our doctor and various residents and assistants to tell me what they saw regarding her ears in the CT. I've gotten everything from "Looks fine" to "Here's the report" (which only confirmed her choanal atresia) to somewhere along the way coming to the conclusion that they didn't take the proper cuts to get information about her ears.

When the cochlear implant doctor pulled up the CT last week, he took a quick look and was able to tell me all sorts of information about her ears that has been there all along. One example being that Vivian is missing semicircular canals (an assumption I had made, given her delays in gross motor skills and the fact that this vestibular dysfunction is common in CHARGE). But there it was in black and white.

When I called Vince to tell him about the appointment, he was upset that the information had been there all along and wasn't shared when I had asked for it repeatedly. I, on the other hand, wasn't so much upset as left questioning my approach. Had I not been clear when asking my questions? Not persistant or pushy enough? Where did I go wrong here?

I'm wondering if my big picture approach is a good fit with such a complicated diagnosis as CHARGE. And though I think I attend to the details when they count, for some reason, this little earthquake has shaken my confidence. And I'm a fairly confident mother - not based on the fact that I think I'm all that or have mad skills (I'm not and I don't) - but based on my basic philosophy of parenthood: there are so many ways to be a good parent, that there is no one right way, and that my sometimes renegade mothering is how I learn what's best for Vivian and me. I am confident in my role to love and laugh and enjoy and guide and model and make mistakes through all the little moments that lead to the big picture: Vivian becoming all she is meant to be - whatever that may be - content, independent, kind-hearted, passionate, creative - whether she's a brainy professor, an artist or a burger flipper. (This was my take on parenting before Vivian was born, by the way - this perspective is not the result of her special needs.)

On the way home from the CI consult, Viv was in a deep carseat sleep. So I stopped at McDonald's and bought myself a big mac (this was my second big mac in my whole life, and I still have no idea what possessed me to order one, but it was good) and a diet coke. I drove the rest of the way home and then ate my lukewarm big mac in the car while parked in the driveway with exhausted Viv slumbering away. And I thought about all this stuff. And I still am. But now that I've blabbered on about it here, I have a plan, I've learned something, and I'm going to let the little earthquake go now and trudge on. I'll hold on to my big picture, and do my best to enjoy the little moments that create it; because for me, that's what parenthood is about.

10 comments:

Jujube said...

I can't believe it took them so long to tell you this major finding. Jubilee also has this too. Walking seems so far away, but as you know, our girls will get there on their own time.

Anonymous said...

Hannah, you struck a nerve with this post. I too am a big picture momma and yet occasionally wonder if I'm missing any important details that will help Charlie as he develops. I've learned that my parenting style helps keep me from worrying about many of the things that I can't change or have no control over. Instead I'm forced to be in the present - parenting to the moment. Obviously there are unexpected bumps bumps in the road. But I still look forward to and embrace each moment.

I often reflect back to your beautiful post on perspective. You have it right my dear friend. You have the big picture in front of you - and the future, while unknown - looks good.

Hugs to you!

-Libby

*Did you get fries too?

Cynthia said...

I admire your ability to remain calm with this "new" (or not so new) information. I find I am pretty demanding of the doctors, to the point of Keith telling me to stop. However, sometimes I feel like that is the only way to get what we need.

Keep plugging along. Vivian is a beautiful little girl who has a whole world in front of her. While things come slowly for our kids, they get there eventually.

Cynthia

Sara said...

Hannah, I LOVED this post. I struggle with being Madeline's best advocate. I know I am her best one, but I am new to this mommy gig even if I have been at it for almost five years now. I want to be reasonable with the medical staff, yet I want the absolute best for my Madeline...but not be too pushy. I struggle with the balance of it all.

I am admiring how you have handled this little "earthquake." You are such an inspiration!

Hugs, Sara

AmyK said...

I don't know what it is like to parent a child with with special needs, but I too parent from up high. It's a complex crazy world we live in with so much possible information to take in at once it is overwhelming, etc., etc. I think you do a wonderful job at zoning in to the details when it's necessary. I think those other doctors were just not using their listening ears!

amy and mighty max said...

Thinking of you...and totally "getting" what you are saying. But can I say from the outside perspective...you are doing amazing! Your sweet lil' girl is thriving (cannot wait to meet her someday in person...I think I might fall in love instantly!) and you have a wonderful perspective on life, her development and parenting!

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Hannah, I think all of us question at one time or another whether our parenting approach is the best approach for our kids. I'm probably the exact opposite from you--I thrive on details, data, research, every piece of info I can get my hands on. It really doesn't make me fret more--it gives me a peace of mind and a feeling of having a little bit of control in a totally out-of-control situation. But that said, my approach has also caused me anxiety over the years when I've longed for concrete answers for things that are unexplainable. I sometimes want life to be all black and white--I don't do "gray" so well!

I don't think any one approach is better than the other. Our approach depends on our personality and the way we process information and tackle our days and our life as a whole. No matter what our approach, I think all of us moms do a pretty fantastic job, you included! :-)

xo
Leslie

Amy B said...

Sounds like you and Vince make the perfect team -- one detail-oriented parent and one big-picture.

Thank you for this post... I too often wonder if my approach is the right one for something so complicated as CHARGE. I'm a detail person, but I can get so wrapped up in the details that I miss how they fit into the big picture. It seems like I'm always telling family or friends about Micah's latest medical news and someone will ask a good question that didn't even occur to me.

Catherine L said...

I've never eaten a Big Mac, on that point we differ, but.... like you, I've been searching high and low for info on semi circular canals etc, even reviewing my CAT scan video that I took interviewing a Dr, and yet it took the report sent to Reu's UCLA school to see the full picture. I have to say Hannah, Vivian is doing extraordinarily well and her speech development is beautiful. That's something high for us to work towards as Reu has no speech, no sounds, things got so messed up during intubation. Continuing to think, grow and learn with you, Love Cx

Kristi said...

So much to say on this one that we'll have to save it for a real-live conversation.
- I will say this now, though... I knew you'd quote that story of the day. I had saved it, too!
- You're not alone on the little earthquakes (and the semi-circular canal "earthquake" specifically)... not that that makes it easier... but you're not alone.
- You're words here, as always, struck such a nerve with me... the way you look at things... the differences between you and Vince... the way it works so well for the two of you... the way you handled that day's little earthquake.

I am constantly awed by your insight and perspective - - so much so that I really want to post in my own blog a link to some of your posts to say... these are words I love... these are words I need...

Thank you, dear Hannah :-)