2.26.2009

365


Vivian had an appointment at the developmental clinic at Stanford yesterday. We were originally referred to it when she was born prematurely. But now these every-six-months appointments are really more appropriate in the context of CHARGE, providing a doctor who looks at Viv's overall development - communication, gross and fine motor skills, cognitive. The doctor does different developmental tasks with Vivian, brings in specialists (nutritionists, speech therapists, etc.) to advise me and makes referrals and suggestions.

As we drove up 280 to the hospital yesterday (the most gorgeous freeway one could possibly drive in February, I'm convinced), I allowed my mind to wander back to what life was like a year ago when we visited this clinic for the first time. A year ago, Vivian's heart surgery was freshly behind us. I vacillated between feeling completely optimistic, with a (slightly annoying) go get 'em attitude (I will run! Cook only organic foods! Be organized in every way!) and being completely overwhelmed. I think it's fair to say that I was mostly overwhelmed.

Last year I was navigating a plateful of appointments with new specialists as we explored the lingering CHARGE diagnosis, seeking confirmation of each individual component and then developing a plan. I was weepy when I looked at the calendar for each passing week: full of appointments here and there and back to here. So this is what life is going to be like now? I didn't particularly like that idea. To try and endure with a smile, I started combining the hard with something fun. A trip to the doctor implied a stop for frozen yogurt or a visit with a friend afterward.

At the end of our appointment yesterday, our beloved Dr. S danced with Vivian as she stood on the exam table. Dr. S said "When I see you in a year, Vivian, we're going to dance together in this exam room!" Dr. S gave me a big hug and reminded me to call her if I ever have any questions or concerns. Viv blew her a kiss and we said goodbye until we see her next February.

As I packed Viv into the stroller and picked Cheerios up off the floor after yesterday's appointment, I thought about all the moments that made up the days that led us to this point: from weepy and overwhelmed to smiling and happy. I thought about the next 365 days - the days that will lead to Vivian standing and dancing with Dr. S. I look so forward to the moments that will create 365 new days, paving the way for a sight I can't wait to behold: Viv and Dr. S dancing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, can't wait to continue reading your blog the next 365 days and to see the video of Miss Vivian dancing with Dr. S.
Love, from Sara and Maddie's Aunt Karen

Sara said...

Oh Hannah, I love your words. You inspire me so much. I needed to read your post tonight because I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. We need to see some specialists in the near future and surgery is two weeks away. I need to be reminded that good things are in store in the next 365 days for us too.

I can't wait to see what Miss Vivian does in the next 365 days....she amazes me every day....as do you!

Sending a big MOMMY hug to you!
Sara

Crystal M. said...

It is amazing and so lovely to hear "see you in a year" its like a huge weight lifted off you.
Keep up the wonderful work and I will be still reading in 365 days and I hope to see pics of Viv and Dr. S. dancing.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

angie said...

in the musical Wicked, there is a song about a character who is skimming the surface and missing a lot of the in between life...i'm glad that you are living the "examined life" - it is so loved to read what you notice and gleen as you go way passed the surface, into the really good stuff

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes after reading this post. I love it. What a great doctor! I love the idea of Viv and Dr. S dancing next year. It will be here before you know it, but I know you will enjoy every moment of these next 365 days. Your days don't just pass you by. You really live life and that is one of the things I love about you.

Unknown said...

hoping moriah can dance wuith u and dr s to :) and also maybe with dr hanley now that is a vidio and pics i wanna see xxx