1.22.2009

J in J : Shoes and Socks



I often call Vivian my ragamuffin child for the sole fact that she loves to take off her right shoe and sock and sports the one-shoe-off, one-shoe-on look. Her favorite place to remove her shoe and sock (always her right, never her left) is in the car as we drive around town. But she will happily remove and then drop her shoe and sock as we walk the aisles at Target (creating a Hansel and Gretel-like retracing footsteps scene) or in the living room as she plays.

After Vivian's first shoe and sock removal this (rather early) morning, I asked her "Where's your shoe?" while signing "where" and "shoe." She looked around, found it to the right of her, reached for it and handed me her pink-striped shoe.

Then I asked "Where's your sock?" while signing "where" and "sock." (I actually could not see her sock and didn't know where she had left it.) She looked around, scooted half a turn, picked up her sock, scooted back to me and handed the striped sock over with such a quiet confidence that the moment stuck with me all day.

It was a moment of effortless communication. I didn't have any doubt that my daughter understood me in this small exchange. Communication, language, ASL, speech and how to make it all work best for Vivian is nearly always on my mind - but this morning it just worked - in a very joyful way.

9 comments:

Kristi said...

Everything about this post made me smile... but the following is what made tears pour down my cheeks:
"It was a moment of effortless communication. I didn't have any doubt that my daughter understood me in this small exchange."

The ability to communicate (whatever the format) is, in my opinion, the most empowering tool we can give our children.

What an utterly amazing January your family is having!

Anonymous said...

I love this entry, too - so cute about Vivian's shoe/sock habit, and so powerful about her communication. Happy day!

Crystal M. said...

Very cute Ms Vivian keeping mommy on her toes. Just remember to keep her window rolled up in the car because I had a friend who's son threw his shoe out the window on the freeway on our way to the zoo....LOL!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Little Miss Evie said...

Eve love to take off her shoes and socks as well. That is too cute. How wonderful to have a great little conversation with her. I can't wait until I can do this with Eve.
Heather and Eve

angie said...

i noticed these shoes in the sandbox picture a few days ago and really fell in love.

i love that they are apart of this story, though. even better.

AmyK said...

Oh Hannah! This is wonderful! I know this was a big weight for you and I am so happy 'it just worked'! That is indeed joyful! Can she get any yummier?!

Anonymous said...

wonderful :)

Sara said...

I love this post and I love the pictures.....and I love the pink, striped shoe. :)

January has definitely been more joyful this year as I read your entries.

Hugs, Sara

Anonymous said...

Ah - we've lost many a shoe in Target.

Viv is amazing - she has really taken to signing. How fantastic! Way to go Hannah, that's quite a bit of work and plenty of love on your end!

-Libby