12.14.2008

Signing Time with Vivi and Mama

Last week Viv made the sign for "time" (not one I've taught her) and then promptly pointed to the basket where I keep the Signing Time DVDs. It freaked me out a little bit...but mostly I was amazed and thankful. Amazed that she picked up the sign so subtly (in the opening song [though we change the words to "It's signing time with Vivi and Mama"] and on the cover of the Volume 1 DVD), and thankful that she communicates what she wants (even if she doesn't get what she wants!).

Signing "time," like Rachel on the DVD cover

We watch one episode of Signing Time most days, practicing the signs and talking about what we see. It's one block of time where she's less grabby with her hearing aids and we often multitask: hearing aids, eyepatch (she's still grabby with that, but less so), practice standing at the couch or in prone while Signing Time plays on the laptop.

A few weeks ago I let the credits roll and really listened to the words that Rachel sang. And the tears came because the words were so perfect: like a little present for the mama sitting with her special baby, needing to know that someone else understands.

From the song "Show Me a Sign" on Volume One:
Every day you grow up more/And teach me more about what I’m here for/And every day I love you more/I love you more...Tell me that you’re happy/And you love it when we’re laughing/Tell me more, oh, tell me more show me a sign/Show me a sign—show me a sign—show me a sign

From the song "The Good" on Volume Two:
It was you and me and a new world right before us/I was so scared to start/I saw you and dreams just like everyone before us/But how did they move so far? And then one day I thought it slipped away/And I looked to my hands to hold you/And then one day all my fear slipped away/And my hands did so much more So maybe we won’t find easy/But, baby, we’ve found the good/Maybe we won’t find easy/But, baby, we’ve found the good!

So watching Signing Time often ends up being a more than just another way of practicing ASL, it's a reminder that I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing...and no, we haven't found easy, but we have definitely found the good.

I love words.

7 comments:

Mindy and Tyler said...

It sounds like she's learning so quickly! We have 3 of the Signing Time DVD's and Ava LOVED them when she was Vivi's age. It was so fun to watch her communicate her world to us. Lilly could have cared less, but that just shows how different they are.

amy and mighty max said...

That is soooo awesome! WOW!

Kristi said...

You go, Viv! :-)
So happy to hear of this great, indendent communication development.
Also, loved the "dose of joy" post!
Have had an email drafted to respond to you and just can't get back to it! Want to tell you three how much I am thinking about you, especially today!
Good luck with "Operation: Breathe Through Both Nostrils, Stage 2" today!
Love,
Kristi and the flock :-)

Crystal M. said...

Vivian you are wonderful keep up the great job!!
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Vivian, you are doing SO well with your signing!! The "Signing Time" videos used to be Katie's favorites! She would watch them over and over and over. She still likes me to sign/sign some of the songs to her.

Karen Rock said...

Way to go Viv!!! We need to get our hands on some of those Signing Time videos. She is so brilliant:). Not to mention her loving devoted Mommy:).

Karen and Lily

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would let you know that Santa gave Sophia the exact same DVD in the picture because she wants to learn to sign with Vivian...I wonder how Santa thought of it?