11.21.2008

Turning That Frown Upside Down

I was a little cranky late yesterday afternoon. Not sure why, exactly. Just a case of the crankies.

Viv kept taking out her hearing aid. And by kept, I mean over and over and over and over. My mantra Every time you take it out, I'll put it back in! was sounding less sweet. My neck was aching (slept on it funny) and I was a little bored and a little antsy. It was dark out already and I had eaten a few too many hot tamales (oh, but they're sooooooo deliciously chewy and spicy!).


Signing pumpkin and pointing.

So I put Viv in her high chair for some pureed sweet potato and chicken dinner. As she ate the whole entire jar of food, she pointed to the pumpkin centerpiece on our dining room table and signed pumpkin. Where did that come from? I showed her the sign for pumpkin at most mealtimes leading up to Halloween but lately had abandoned it, as the season for pumpkins is drawing to a close. A little flabbergasted, we went back to the carpet to play and she looked over at a piece of bird wrapping paper I have framed on the wall and signed bird.


And then she threw me a kiss, a sweet potato and chicken kiss.

My crankies were replaced by a spontaneous celebration. I turned up our music (my pandora radio station quick mix, of course) and we danced and danced and danced all around the living room. And once again, I am reminded that I am not walking this path alone, that there is a plan and a purpose and that life is really quite enjoyable if I allow it to be. And by enjoyable I mean pretty awesome.

And that is how my frown turned upside down.

(PS Surgery has been rescheduled for December 3. I am struggling with the best MO for keeping Miss Viv healthy so we don't have to postpone again. Do I sequester? [But I don't really want to eat Thanksgiving alone.] Or do I just let go of my usually very laid back self and become that mother that brings hand sanitizer to all functions and keeps my baby away from anyone who might be sick? I am not usually a germ-a-phobe, but I don't want to tempt fate by being too laid back, either. Thoughts, input?)

14 comments:

Carrie said...

Awesome signing, Viv! That is so cool.

You wouldn't be *that mother,* because *that mother* probably isn't getting her kiddo ready for surgery, and her child doesn't have the delight of trying to breathe through one nostril with a head cold. So Purell away, my dear.

And I think there was something in the air yesterday afternoon, because I was spontaneously miserable for a couple of hours and then recovered.

Anonymous said...

Bring on the Purell!! I think you and Vivian would go stir crazy inside during such beautiful weather! I also think everyone should/would understand! I am so amazed at Miss Vivian's signs! Yay!

Anonymous said...

I join the hearing aid bootcamp the Purell and handwashing squad, the "put mom at ease team", and embrace the dual nostril concept for dear Vivian....what grandma wouldn't?

AmyK said...

Just say no to germs and yes to fun! Bring on the Purel and get out and enjoy the fresh air!

Anonymous said...

Vivi!!!!!
I promise I'll be healthy for Thanksgiving... so we can enjoy your company... we miss you!... and you can bring your parents too... hahaha!!!

Victoria Nelson said...

Haha. Hannah, that is so funny that you say THAT mother who brings hand sanitizer to all functions - that mother is me! Especially leading up to Moriah's surgery. I just feel that everyone understands, and if a couple extra squirts of the sanitizer does the trick, then by all means, go for it! =)Love you guys!

Auntie Sarah said...

Friends at a Buddhist meeting/potluck tonight were asking about how you and Vivian were doing- and I was bragging about the new signs she was using, and how darn smart she is! how exciting to see her putting the sign and the objects together!!

Purell is great yes, I have my baby wipes I keep in my car...but I also think talking to a nutritionisit/ holistic doctor about ways to boost Vivian's immune system is important as well. I second Amy- enjoy the nice weather, while arming yourself with weapons of mass antibacterial destruction!!

Rachel said...

HEY HEY HEY! That is so awesome that she's signing like that. Now you have to be careful now that you know she's retaining like this! :)

As for your decision before surgery. Just go by your priority and people will understand. They love her too!

Leslie, Arlin and Katie Kauffman said...

Hooray for Miss Vivian and her signing!! She is making amazing progress!

Hope you stay healthy for your surgery, Vivian, and that you have a great Thanksgiving!

Crystal M. said...

Way to go, its amazing how they can turn our whole day around with just a couple little things like a sign.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

greta ott said...

cute.
good luck at keeping her well. I know you can take on those germs -- supermom!!

Karen Rock said...

You can't be "that mother" because you are NOT my anal-retentive mother in law!! She is a true germophobe.

I was sitting in a hospital waiting room last month and read an article in Discover magazine http://discovermagazine.com/2008/mar/14-dna-pollution-may-be-spawning-killer-microbes/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=
that talked about antibiotics and antibacerial products and how using too much of them is a bad thing for our environment. Viv will get that surgery moved off her To Do List very soon. I know it.

Happy to hear that Viv making your frown into a smile is a "sign" of things to come!

Karen and Lily

Sara said...

Hi Hannah! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets crabby. :) I am also glad Viv turned that around for you. Madeline usually does the same for me too. Oh, and yay Vivian for your awesome signs! She is amazing me.

Madeline's first surgery was scheduled for Dec. 27 (2005). They told us that the slightest sniffle would postpone surgery. The month of November and December we basically kept Madeline in a bubble. I still had to work, so she went to an in-home daycare, but we asked our provider to use extra caution with her and the other kids. I brought Purell over. I kept Purell right by our door and we asked anyone that came to our house to use it. I used it a ton since I work in a school (aka--germ center). We didn't take Madeline anywhere but home and day-care. We even did church separately for Christmas that year.

I understand completely that you don't want to be neurotic about it, but you have good cause. Everyone, especially family, should understand the importance of keeping germs away from Viv and should be good about it.

I have Vivian's flowers done, but of course, in true Sara style, I deleted your e-mail with your address on it. Would you mind sending me it again?

Hugs, Sara

Shari said...

I am so proud of miss Viv! That's fantastic - please give her big wet kisses for me!!!

You need to celebrate what you are thankful for my dear - and you LOVE food so staying home isn't an option! Hand sanitizer is your friend. No worries about being THAT mommy; we're all "that" and if someone has a problem with it they just don't understand the importance (PS - i have three bottles with me at all times, two in Brandon's room, one in the living room and one in the car for good measure - so I AM "that" momma and I'm proud!)

I love you all very much.

xoxo