11.13.2008

Miss Moriah

Our dear friend Moriah will have heart surgery tomorrow (Friday 11/14). Please add Miss M and her amazing parents, Victoria and Justin, to your thoughts and prayers in the coming days. The pediatric surgeon who operated on Vivian's heart almost a year ago will be performing Moriah's surgery.

=========

On Tuesday I popped by the hospital to drop some things off for the Nelson family, not knowing if I'd see them or not. When I knocked on their hospital room door, I introduced myself, and was immediately embracing my friend, and dear sister on this journey, Victoria. With tears and joy and full hearts, I met this wonderful family whom I am so connected to as we walk this path with our daughters.


Meeting my sister, Victoria. Photo by Justin.
I am still struggling to find the words to describe this moment. So far all my friendships with moms and families on a similar path have been "virtual." Which doesn't make them any less valuable or real...but it does make it different. At what other time in the history of the world could I genuinely connect with people all over the world without ever having met them? I am so, so thankful for this.


With the divine Miss M, in polka dots, to boot! Thanks for capturing this moment, Justin!
The Nelson family is lovely and amazing; Miss Moriah is even cuter in person (how is that possible?!) with big, expressive eyes and a sweet, curious personality. I cannot wait for our girls to meet. Honestly, Moriah and Vivian really are two peas in a pod.

And I guess what I am struggling to put my finger on and express is that inside of these moments with the Nelsons was the understanding in my heart that the challenges and the heartache are tempered by the joy, understanding and connection with people whom I would never have known otherwise.

And now I can't imagine our story without them. I am so, so glad we're part of each other's stories. We love you, dear Nelson family!

6 comments:

LisaAnn said...

What a treasured meeting! Prayers for Moriah and her family.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with Moriah and family. It must be a little reassuring to know she is in the capable hands of Miss Vivian's doctor. What a great friendship and an unforgettable moment for you both to meet.

Catherine L said...

typing with 1 finger breastfeeding... aren't they a beautiful family... thanks for being there for them in so many ways

Crystal M. said...

That is wonderful you got to meet them, I had one really close friend like that here and her daughter lost her fight before we could really take off. I kept in touch with her afterward but I feel things got to hard for her and her family and we lost touch. I hope you all can hold on to this friendship forever.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

Sara said...

My thoughts and prayers have been with Moriah's family. I hope they are doing well. Moriah looks as sweet at Vivian.

I hope all is well with you all! I am glad to be back on the computer!!

Hugs, Sara

Unknown said...

I met another mother who had a child with CHARGE through the nurses at the Children's Hospital. That was almost 11 years ago and we are still the BEST of friends and our girls have grown up together. I am so glad you have the opportunity to develop a friendship like I have - she is a sister to me.