I felt compelled to uncover some bits of my Grandma's Hawaii. With the help of some family members, I got some information on where my grandparents lived on the island. My Aunt 'Lani found an address: 1524 Mailikukahi Walk. She also found a dwelling lease dated May 1, 1941: "Premises located in Kamehameha Homes, Project TH-1-1...designated as Dwelling Number 1524, Building Number 39." It went on to say there are 3 1/2 rooms and the rent was $20.30 a month.
We put the address into the rental car's GPS and it led us to the parking lot of a junior high school. We parked in a dirt lot at the edge of the school, where the GPS said in its official voice "You have arrived." At the edge of that dirt school lot was a sidewalk - apparently abandoned from another time and another purpose. It didn't lead anywhere, and you could only access it from school property. There was a cinder block wall on the other side of the sidewalk, with townhomes, circa 1980, on the other side.
The GPS said we had arrived at Mailikukahi Walk. No street sign was there to verify, and yet I could easily imagine what once was - identical military housing lined up along this sidewalk; Diamond Head and the ocean in the distance; young moms chasing kids in small yards waiting for men in uniform to arrive home to the squeals of "Daddy!" My beautiful grandma, with her effortless elegance, falling in love with her daughter in this hot jungle-y paradise. I can't imagine it was an easy time, but knowing my Grandma, she approached this slice of adventure in her young life with an enthusiastic spirit and her signature strength. And hopefully some shave ice to keep the heat at bay.
Tracing footsteps
I stood with little Vivian on my hip (sweaty and sporty, post-Manoa Falls hike) and felt my Grandma so close.(And then some school personnel, very official with a walkie-talkie, came to tell us we were on private property and would we please leave immediately.)



8 comments:
You have to frame those first two pictures together!!
What a neat post! I can't believe the resemblance between you and your grandmother--truly.
How neat that you could trace your roots a bit in Hawaii.....I can feel my grandparents too in different places (in WI). I wish Hawaii was one of them. :)
I loved the end of your story--I adore your sense of humor. :)
Thank you, too, for the encouraging post on my blog. Even though Viv and Maddie have different conditions--our experiences have been very similar. I treasure your words and you pack my parachute with your blog and your posts on my blog. I am so happy to have "met" you, Hannah.
Hugs, Sara
This is such a beautiful post. Just loved reading it!
That's incredible! You even look like your Grandma Vivian! I always think about her now when we go to Huntington Library...
Hug and kiss our Viv for us!
Love,
Victoria and Moriah
Amazing family resemblance!!!
How neat that you could trace your Grandma Vivian's footsteps! And I just LOVE those first two pics in front of the Royal Hawaiian--how cool! Was your grandfather in the military there during the attack on Pearl Harbor?
good pics you should of told that person that told u to leave that you grandma was y\there so many yars ago and you were coming back to her roots
WOW! What a wonderful post!
I agree with Angie... these must be framed together! And, I agree with pretty much everyone else... an amazing family resemblance.
The whole post gave me such happy chills! :-)
Post a Comment