10.03.2008

Despair and Hope; Darkness and Light; Sadness and Joy

Our CHARGE community lost a sweet soul yesterday. Lucas Weindorf passed away. He was 17 months old. I had just started getting to know the Weindorf family through Reuben's blog. My heart aches for them, and yet I am inspired by their message of love and hope and peace. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.

Vivian took a nap in my lap yesterday. As she snoozed peacefully, I read a book about the prayer of Saint Francis. I was thinking of Lucas and his family a lot as I read, knowing he was having surgery yesterday; I thought of the Weindorfs, not knowing yet that they were in the midst of a loss so great. This poem has brought me much comfort since Vivian's birth, and I've always had a soft spot for St. Francis.


photo via flickr

The Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me sow love,
Where there is injury let me sow pardon,
Where there is doubt, faith,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not seek so much to be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in forgiving that we are forgiven,
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

3 comments:

Michele said...

How sad! I'll be thinking of them.

angie said...

what beautiful words - i can't begin to imagine their journey but i'll add them to my prayers

Crystal M. said...

Beautiful!!
Crystal and Eva