It was the 9th yesterday, so we had breakfast for dinner (my self-imposed tradition for the 9th each month during Viv's second year). You probably will want to make this soon. I'm just sayin'....
Overnight Stuffed French Toast
(adapted from a Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook recipe. Following are the original measurements to make 6 pieces. When I made it, I altered the recipe to make four servings. Oh, and I completely changed the filling ingredients because the original calls for orange marmalade and I am anti-orange marmalade. Sorry, mom & Sarah. Be sure to prep this the night before.)
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tb favorite jam or fruit (I used Santa Rosa plum jam, but you could try bananas or sauteed apples or pumpkin puree or whatever you like best...)
1/8 tsp. cardamom (or you could use cinnamon or nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice...)
1/4 c. chopped pecans (or almonds or...)
6 slices of french bread, 1&1/2 inches thick
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
Grease casserole dish. Mix cream cheese, jam, cardamom and pecans. Cut a pocket in the top crust of each bread slice. Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly among the pockets. Put filled bread in casserole dish.
In small bowl, mix together eggs, milk and vanilla. Slowly pour over bread slices. Cover and chill overnight.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Serve with syrup or powdered sugar or (eek!) whipped cream.
A side of turkey bacon is delish.

8 comments:
That looks so yummy!!!
Crystal and Eva
Gosh that sounds yummy... I might need marmalade though!
you inspired me to have breakfast for dinner last month, but it did not look/sound as good as this!
thanks again for the suggestion about the book. i already feel encouraged by what people are writing. moriah gives her other half a raspberry kiss!
lots of love,
the nelsons
Mmmmmmm.....that looks good! It is fat free too, right? :) Thanks for sharing! I will try it sometime.
Sara
oh my! i want some now!!
Yummy! I LOVE the concept...I've made overnight oven french-toast before and it turned out to be a pile of soggy mush! I am going to try your recipe and see if I have better luck!
SO I tried this recipe, and we ate it for breakfast this morning. I used Trader Joe's orange apricot jam, and a teaspoon of orange extract for extra orange-ness. It was quite tasty- but I must say, 2 Tb of jam for 6 slices of bread is Not enough! I would do a TB of jam per slice.. it was very cream cheesey. and Good with maple syrup. thanks for the recipe Hannah!
Yummmmmmmmy! Can't wait to try this one!
:-)
Post a Comment