I do best focusing on one thing at a time. It doesn't take much for me to feel I am spread too thin. I don't like that feeling and let's just say I am not at my best when I've got too many different things on my plate.
In the first year of Vivian's life, her CHARGE diagnosis came together rather piecemeal, which allowed me to focus on one thing at a time. As the diagnoses started piling up, I still chose to focus on one thing at at time. That was a choice for my sanity's sake.
The first five months of Vivian's life were all about her heart - waiting for surgery, having the surgery postponed, waiting again and then living through it. Post-surgery, the focus turned to gross motor skills - physical therapy and exercises galore. Then as we waited for her hearing test and she got tested for Early Start services, my focus turned to communication. Sprinkle in a constant focus on Viv's eating and weight gain, monitoring eyes and nose and general health, and that's the bulk of my worries this past year.
After the hurdle of her heart, concerns about communication have been the hardest for me. Will I ever be able to sit and just talk with my daughter? Will she hear me read her The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables? Will she be able to tell me jokes and laugh at my dorky sense of humor? It made my heart ache to ponder the possibilities and the unknown - what if... what if. My hairdresser (who always leaves me with a sincere pearl of wisdom when I see her for 45 minutes every 6-8 weeks) said "Well, Hannah, you'll always be able to communicate with her, no matter what." And with tears in both of our eyes, I knew she was right.
Sitting on the beach in Hawaii, Viv pointed all around her: to the ocean, to the sand, to the sun umbrella, to her toys. And I said to Vince "Pointing is my favorite thing Vivian does. I just love it, maybe even more than sitting." To which Vince replied, "Well, it's her strongest form of communication, isn't it?" Of course that's why I love it so much (sometimes I miss the obvious).
On our plane ride home on Friday night, Vivian signed "milk" in context and over and over. Our whole family was laughing and smiling as we signed milk, said milk and were generally overly enthusiastic about milk (I don't even like milk!). I've been doing ASL signs with Vivian for the past several months, but this was the first time she expressed language.
I know there will be some very challenging days ahead. But little reminders that communication is more than just talking make me feel okay about being where we are now* and dealing with future challenges when they're in our lap. Communication is enjoying a beautiful view together; it's a case of the giggles; it's shaking our heads, clapping and laughing while listening to Rhianna's Disturbia (no, I'm not kidding); it's hearing new sounds from our little girl's mouth and moving hands in a way that holds meaning. Our future may not hold the most typical ways of communicating, but I have a feeling we will still understand each other, and that calms my heart enough to enjoy now.
*CHARGE friends, thanks for your advice a couple of weeks ago - our Early Start service coordinator has Vivian's hearing test results now, so hopefully we will qualify and start receiving Deaf and Hard of Hearing services soon - I am eager to learn more about ASL and supporting Viv's hearing and listening development, as I don't feel at all equipped to do it on my own much longer.
9.28.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Ahh... that made my night!
Love to see the signing emerging for Vivian. And the pointing is huge... shows she's seeking language, too!
Do you have "Signing Time" videos? Both of my kids LOVE them... and we all learned a lot from them, especially in the early stages...
One more thing... the consonant and vowel combination babbling is so encouraging... the fact that she's babbling "correctly" as she starts to vocalize is so great! (Gracie never got that far with her voicing before the trach. It's lovely to hear in Miss V.!!!)
PS - Thanks :) for your emails... I DO still want to try a get together before we move. My little Swanns are both sick now... Preston blossomed with the "ick" during the night Saturday and I am starting to feel it now, too. Gracie is "hanging in" and we have avoided the hospital, so that's a good thing. It has knocked her for a loop since Thurs. night and on Saturday I considered taking her in because she didn't look or sound good at all.
Checking in on Lucas W.'s blog gives me perspective... you know?
Talk soon!
Hannah, To see the communication between you two is amazing. I've seen the love you communicate and when her eyes & face light up when you talk to her....ahhhh! It is amazing. The smiles and giggles and the pointing she did at Diego-she's talking & it is so wonderful to be around her. I can't wait to see her sign!
It is so precious to see her learning and growing, I love that you allow us to watch :) I may have said this once or twice before, but she is just scrumptious! I think we need to have a play-date soon because Elliot enjoys throwing a tantrim instead of signing milk :( Maybe Viv can show him!
Hooray!!! I'm so excited that she's signing now! You are going to have a wonderful time with this! You're so right that communication is critical - it's why the teenage years are so horrible for parents. ; ) Sending much love, Jessica
Congratulations!!! How wonderful. See those days of V watching signing videos whilst in prone position... I remember them well and look where you are now. As Kristi says, pointing is a huge communication leap too. Our signing hour 1st thing is my favourite time of day with Reuben. I just love going through the signs and watching him watching me so intently to learn more. You have that same magic between you and I'm delighted. It is THE best way to learn; interpersonally from mama. Enjoy it! Relish in it! It's a beautiful language which you will become completely absorbed with and then you'll struggle to keep up with learning new signs at the speed at which she can absorb them... Cx
She is a pointer. The two of you have such a connection that you will see that words will not even begin to show how you converse with each other.
More thoughts, Hannah :)
Communication is (as you said) so much more than just "talking." I have been having "conversations" with Gracie her whole life - - through touch, expressions, gestures and sign. She will (likely) never speak and will likely not be a "fluent" signer, but I know that I will always be able to communicate with her as you will with Viv (who clearly has significant language potential in ways that Miss Gracie doesn't!).
Re: signing - - I agree wholeheartedly with Catherine - - interpersonal instruction (especially with a parent) is the best way to learn. I am thankful that Gracie is such a mimicker, as that has been a huge teaching tool for her. What is great about the videos is that it gives kids a chance to see kids using their language. Kids love other kids and really respond to them.(You know this... you're a teacher!) Because Gracie was so terribly sick for so long, she didn't get the benefit of much socialization and so her exposure to other kids signing was through that medium only for a very long time. Another "tool" we used was to put Gracie in her little desk with a full length mirror in front of her (or to the side a bit so she could see herself and us) and she'd "go to town!" She'd sign away to herself, manually babbling - - and apparently telling jokes because she's crack herself up all the time! A mirror still tends to be a useful teaching tool for her.
You post spoke to me (as usual) and I kept thinking about it (as you can tell!), for communication (of all forms) is something that I concentrate heavily on with my girlie. Right now, with her so sick, most of her communication goes away and I miss her so much.
Hannah, how exciting!!! Vivian is showing such good language potential, both verbal and sign, especially for a child with CHARGE her age. She is making great progress!
I will second Kristi's suggestion about the mirror. When Katie was a baby, a friend was remodeling her bathroom and gave us her old mirror--a huge wall mirror, probably 3' x 5'. We propped it in front of our fireplace, and Katie would sit for hours, signing and mimicking to herself. We have a smaller mirror in our basement, and she still goes over and sits in front of it and signs to herself sometimes.
In fact, you asked what we did at 3:00 a.m. yesterday to pass the time? Katie sat in front of her mirror and "talked" to herself for probably two hours! :-)
Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!
Post a Comment