- at least 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, single family home
- big kitchen/dining room/living room area
- hardwood floors
- neighborhood school
+++++++++
There is power in writing things down. And I don't mean this in a law of attraction, write it and it will come kind of way. The power lies in the ability to focus, sort and process through what's truly important. There is power in capturing details that would otherwise get lost in the shuffle of the big picture. There is power in taking the time to really sit and think about life and what I want from it; to make connections between events, feelings, episodes, thoughts.
I started this blog just about a year ago. We had brought Vivian home and I was sitting and thinking a lot. I was writing, revising and editing in my head constantly, trying to wade through and understand the swirling and twirling thoughts. So, I started writing Benbo to keep family and friends up to date on Viv's progress. I never anticipated so many rewards: writing helped me feel not so alone, in that purgatory of post-birth, pre-surgery life, confined to the four walls of our home. It helps me focus on the good, even when I feel like I am drowning in sorrow. It helps me tell a story that I need to tell: for me, for Vince, for Vivian.
When I started this blog, I didn't know that life was about to get a lot more complicated. I had no idea about Vivian's eyes or ears or nose or development. I had never heard of CHARGE Syndrome. When those waves hit, nearly taking me out, I had this soft place to land and sort through it. I had a place to capture beautiful little moments. I had a place to record bonding with my daughter and becoming a family of three. I look back at those early posts and I am so, so thankful I have proof of those blips in time. They'd be lost otherwise. And I need to remember.
Here we are, a year later, and I want to thank you for coming along for the ride. Bottom line, I write for my family and me, but sharing it has brought a multitude of unexpected blessings. I've rediscovered my love of writing, maintained connections with friends and family and I've met some inspiring new-but-not-yet-met-in-real-life friends along the way. Thanks for your encouragement and kindness the past year. Where would I be without you?

13 comments:
You and your family are gifts to read about. Thank you for sharing so much.
We'll be visiting in October, maybe we can finally meet Vivian!
I am so glad you started this blog. I love hearing about you and your sweet little family. It makes you feel not so far away.
hannah,
I too am so happy and thankful you started blogging. It's like we're virtually raising our kids together.
happy blogging.
xo,g
this is my favorite picture of vivian to date (and that is saying something, because there are a lot of good ones!)
anyhow, i am glad for a forum i can process and share...it helps me feel not so alone, too.
Reading Benbo is one the best parts of my day! You are wonderful writer, mom and friend and please keep the posts coming!
I should have also added that becoming a mom for the first time can be quite lonely (as we may have even discussed before) The walls of your home become ever more important as does the ability communicate with others, which is why I started my blog, I felt disconnected all of a sudden. Anyway, just had to add.
and we've all been treated to the wonders of little Miss Viv, who is beautiful, courageous, and a blessing to her devoted mom and dad, grandparents and all of us who've had a chance to read thru and share these experiences with your wonderful words.
happy anniversary!!!
MJ
Viv is cute as ever and your posts are so inspiring (you know it!) I am so happy for her helmet graduation. There is more good news to come and more new maps to find!
All the best!
I agree too! I am glad you started your blog! I am happy you find comfort and happiness here too!
P.S. I am having a contest! I hope you come back to enter!
http://pinklemonadeboutiquebags.blogspot.com
As usual, your words speak volumes to me. I write for many of the same reasons you do... and I am grateful for so many of the unexpected benefits and blessings that this forum has brought... it is, afterall, how we "blog met!" :)
In some ways, I am envious that you had this medium and used it at the very beginning of Viv's life. I consider myself to have a pretty good memory and yet there are details of Gracie's first years that are fuzzy... certain things about which I wonder - how much is my memory playing around with the details? You have it all laid out... in permanent record. I have (quite like your list in your calendar!) lists and notes about things, hundreds (maybe thousands) of digital photos, a partially completed "baby book" and not one completed scrapbook page! The little details... the daily events and feelings... those are slowly fading and have been twisted, I'm sure, by my memory.
I love following along on your very personal family journey and am so grateful that you, too, are a blogger!
Note to self... get going on Gracie's digital scrapbook!
Hannah,
I know exactly how you feel about blogging. I can't believe how much it has changed my life. It feels so good to get some of my ideas and thoughts out of my head and into printed word.
I am so glad I found your blog. I love reading it. You've given me some good perspectives. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Happy Anniversary!
Sara
i share your love of blogging. and actually did you know that you can turn it into a book...somewhat of a digital scrapbook. i am in the process right now and i look back to three years ago and am sooooooooooo grateful i took the time to write down the good, the bad and the ugly. important way to remember how far our amazing kiddos have come!!!
looking forward to meeting you and your beautiful family someday!
I am so blessed to be part of your circle and included in the journey.
How lucky I was to become your friend at SFSU...
love,
Johanna
Post a Comment