While Vivian took an extra long nap this afternoon, I attended to some things on my to-do list, half paying attention and moving at the speed of a sloth. And then I got an idea - an idea that put a little steam in my slow moving body. I abandoned my to-do list.
I built a fort. Remember taking the cushions of your parents' couch, leaning and arranging, maybe pulling a chair in from the dining room, before topping it all off with an old sheet from the 70's? Then wasting away an afternoon that moments before was ordinary and dull in the shadowy enclave of your own little world? A stack of books, a snack, a journal, a deck of cards... you were practically living on your own!
I know Viv may be a little young to appreciate the fine art of fort building, but I was needing a little something...the cozy, comforting, quintessential childhood diversion of building a fort.
Vivian woke up from her nap and I excitedly showed her our new hangout. I pulled in a basket of toys for her to toss around. She wasn't that impressed. I ate a granola bar. I told her all about how I built it, and how we might improve it next time. She looked up and around suspiciously but eventually enjoyed emptying her toy basket all over the inside of our fort.
+++++++++
I'm constantly asking myself Am I doing enough? Should we stop playing so I can torture her with four point kneeling again (she HATES it)? She's sitting so nicely on the floor, but I should probably put her up on the stool so it's more challenging even though she won't be as happy. How do I balance just playing and experiencing life with all the other important therapy "homework" and stimulation I need to be providing for Viv each day? Aside from an hour a week with our teacher, it's just me, trying to keep track of what needs to be done. And often as I'm tucking into bed, exhausted (but happy), I realize I didn't do this or that or this, either. Sigh.
Tomorrow I'm getting a spiral notebook. I have some ideas about how it will revolutionize our daily tasks, so that I can fall asleep knowing we had lots of playtime, funtime and exercise time. And maybe some fort time, too.

7 comments:
I love that you built a fort! How fun!! I think it is important to balance out the homework with FUN fort time. Hannah, I know you are doing a wonderful job with Viv. Never doubt it.
I think Miss Vivian enjoyed the fort! I love the pictures of her in it. So funny- yesterday I left Sophia and Oli at home while I visited with Gran and came home to find a fort in my living room. And sometimes I think "oh-I have not do times tables with Sophia or letter practice with Oli" But the "Fun Stuff" is so much more FUN!! You are too cute!!
I think Miss Vivian enjoyed the fort! I love the pictures of her in it. So funny- yesterday I left Sophia and Oli at home while I visited with Gran and came home to find a fort in my living room. And sometimes I think "oh-I have not do times tables with Sophia or letter practice with Oli" But the "Fun Stuff" is so much more FUN!! You are too cute!!
I love it! I have been dreaming of the day we will build a fort with E, thanks for letting me see that it is not too soon! Viv seems to love it! You are doing a wonderful job! I think that the nighttime wondering comes with Momhood ;)
Oh... how this made me sigh - - a big, knowing "Mommy sigh." Hannah, until Preston was born I really didn't believe that the wondering "am I doing enough?" comes with Mommyhood (as AmyK said, too) regardless of your child's situation. I've wondered this constantly with Gracie - - have I pushed her enough when she's been healthy enough to tolerate a push? Have I done enough to help her reach her potential? Now I wonder with Preston, too. Not in the same ways, of course, but the thoughts are there are on some levels regarding certain things.
And that fort (a favorite in this house, too!) was in fact "therapy" and work for Vivian. That's a huge sensory experience for her! A fort can change sounds & lighting, it has texture, it has color, it covers and/or surrounds her, she sat up in it, she played with her toys and you did all that "work" while having fun!
(Put all that in your spiral notebook :-))
Also... her experience with the food net-bag and the plum... well, that's OT, Oral Motor, and feeding therapy rolled into loads of high chair fun with you and Vince! :-)
I think, no I know, that you are doing a FABULOUS job with her!
Viv is looking cute as ever! i have been wondering the same thing myself and been feeling frustrated myself. I love the plums (I don;t think they have those in Illinois). I agree with Kristi wholeheartedly that you are covering many bases building a fort! Crystal (Eva's mom) once had published a list on "You know you have a Special Needs Child When.." I believe that throwing something was considered PT!!
The fort was a wonderful idea, and trust me you are not the only on wondering if you are doing enough, I know I think that everyday of my life when it comes to my daughter. There is always the what if but then I remember it will come, it will come.
Keep up the great work mommy you are doing wonderful.
Crystal and Eva
Post a Comment