10.18.2007

Home Is Where the Heart Is

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Yesterday sucked.

We had a hearing test scheduled for Vivian yesterday. The long and short of it is that we left the house at 10:30 yesterday morning for the test and were not allowed to leave the hospital until 9:30 last night.

She had to be mildly sedated for the hearing test, which we knew ahead of time. However, we didn't know the likelihood that the sedative would cause her oxygen saturation to drop (which would be normal for anyone) and that the hospital wouldn't let us leave, since given her heart condition, a drop in oxygen saturation isn't something one takes lightly.

I held my lethargic baby in my arms for nine hours, while different doctors, nurses, student nurses and residents came in to poke and prod and change the threshold for what her O2 Sats needed to be before we could go home. Threats of having to stay overnight loomed. I don't begrudge their erring on the side of caution. I do begrudge the fact that I feel like we became an "interesting case" for young and overzealous (albeit well meaning) medical practitioners to come and see. After the fourth resident came in to introduce herself, tell us that she'd be taking care of us and that she wanted to take a history and a listen to my daughter's heart, Vince said NO. No more touching and prodding our daughter, no more changing the story, no more holding us hostage. I held onto Vivian and cried silent heartbreaking tears. I can't believe this is my life sometimes.

Vivian's heart is fine--we'll go to our cardiologist today to have a little checkup just to be on the safe side. It was the sedative and not a change in her heart anatomy that caused the oxygenation to drop. I'm just filled with regret that the hearing test wasn't even completed and that we wasted a precious day in an awful place. As we rapidly approach Vivi's surgery date, each moment with her at home is exponentially precious. My "mama bear" side definitely came out of hibernation. Don't mess with my daughter. Don't mess with my family.


So, we're home, where are hearts are comforted and content. Last night before Vivian drifted to sleep, we planned a special day. I fed her this morning as the sun rose bright pink behind our favorite backyard tree. A new day. Letting go of yesterday and focused on making today beautiful. It's going to be a day of squirrel watching. More on that to come.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Holy cow, that sucks. Was this at Stanford? Good for Vince for putting his foot down.

Michele said...

What an awful day! I am sorry you had to go through that.

angie said...

oh, vivi, dearest little vivi.

she is so lucky to have you two protecting her, caring for her, holding her, and loving her. you can just feel the love - its so big, even though she is so small.

Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME that you and Vince protected Vivian like that and stood up for her. It is so hard to fight The Doctors and What They Think Is Best - it really takes a ton of courage that most people don't have. Vivian is SO lucky to you have you two taking care of her!!
-- Jessica