I love shopping at Mexican markets. Their produce is far superior to Safeway's and Trader Joe's. And it's so, so cheap. (3 radish bunches/0.99 - cilantro/0.59 - poblano chiles - bag of juicy limes/0.99 - tomatillos - and more!) Tonight I'm making these corn-stuffed poblano chiles for dinner.
The market a couple of miles from my house happens to carry my favorite hot sauce in the entire world - Huichol - from the state of Nayarit in Mexico. I put it on everything: cottage cheese, salad, jicima...it just makes everything taste better. Its taste transports me back to a week in Sayulita spent watching the ocean waves, eating guacamole and fresh coconut and tamales from the lady with the blue ice chest (all with Salsa Huichol, of course), walking in the sand, and reading on beach chairs with a dear friend. It was our pre-mommyhood trip, and we're both convinced that our children will love Huichol as much as we do, as it's been pulsing through our veins since the babies were just twinkles in our eyes.




2 comments:
jicama - i've got to go get some!!
I sooo know what you mean about the produce at the Mexican market being superior. I try to get there every other week - their corn on the cob cannot be beat!
Post a Comment