First off, thank you, Benbo readers for your support and kind words regarding Miss Viv's new accessory. They gave me perspective and buoyed me up when I felt weighed down. When I was out and about this past week, your words flittered around in my brain: Her helmet is a symbol of hope. She's ready for skateboarding! Viv's a superhero! She's ready for a NASCAR race - look out, Jeff Gordon! She'll love hats! It'll be part of her story.
Vivian has adjusted beautifully. After a few days of getting used to it, she now wakes up smiling, loves playing in just a diaper and bloomers (the helmet makes her HOT! so we dress lightly to stay cool) and continues to be her sweet self.
I've adjusted well, too. I think it was kind of like surgery - the anticipation was the worst part. Now it's here, and it's really easy to just focus on Vivian and go about our day to day life. I've pushed myself to go on with life as normal - restaurants, shopping, music class, playing - acting as if the helmet doesn't bother me in the slightest (a favorite mind game I learned in some college psychology class). And you know what? It doesn't really anymore. Sure, I wish she didn't have to wear it. But I'm not going to waste time whining about it. We've got books to read, walks to take, games to play, people to see, life to enjoy!
Wishing you a happy weekend, full of enjoyment. With or without a helmet.
4.18.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hannah- everything that is happening you are Already strong enough for! Vivian is a great example to follow... she doesnt care what people think! These hurdles only make you stronger, and Yes! make for stories to share when Vivi is older. Solamente sonries! SI? : - )
We love you all so much, and cant wait for hugs and cuddles soon!
<3 Auntie Sarah and Tio Tato
I am so glad that your first week went well. She is just adorable. And I agree with "Auntie Sarah" You are setting a great example of being yourself and not caring what others may think. I am sure that people notice the love in your eyes before they notice the helmet. She is precious.
The love and happiness between mama and Vivian is so amazing! Vivian's smiles when she hears mama's voice are so great too!! And the helmet is so darn cute on! You could eat her up!! What a trooper she is! Hannah- you are a fabulous mom- a great role model of strenghth for us all!
you are an amazing mom. I admire your strength and ability to write so beautifully.
Post a Comment