4.15.2008

From Sweden to Africa, All In One Post

I keep saying I won't buy any more furniture from IKEA, that we're grown ups now, and we should invest in good quality, long lasting furniture. But then I go to IKEA to eat some Swedish Meatballs for lunch and I leave with heavy boxes containing pieces of MDF requiring assembly. Oops.

While assembling my latest purchase, I made peace with my compulsion to buy cheap furniture at this Swedish institution. It's nothing exciting - just a bookcase. But I've been enjoying filling its squares with beloved things. Favorite books, a mail organizer, pretty pots and vases. Vivian has books and a few baskets of toys on the bottom shelf.

It's been a little like Christmas, rediscovering long lost lovelies. One book I've rediscovered is Mango Elephants in the Sun by Susana Herrera. It was recommended by my dear friend Jen 7 or 8 years ago. I loved it from the moment I heard the title, and the pages within the cover do not disappoint.

Can you find Mango Elephants? And yes, I organize my books by color.

It is the author's true story of two years in Cameroon, Africa with the Peace Corps. She struggles to teach, connect and live in the village that becomes her home for two years. At the well one day, Susana listens to the village women speak to each other as they pump water and then effortlessly balance the full metal buckets on their heads. I have never forgotten the phrase the villagers utter as their greeting to one another:

"Jam bah doo nah?"

"It means, 'Are you in your skin?' Or a better translation would be, 'Is your soul in your body?' The Tapouri women all say, 'Yes. Oh, yes, we are alive,' they say." [p.12]

In a culture of Hihowareyou?s and Fine,thankshowareyou?s, I love the idea of greeting another person with a Jam bah doo nah? And really meaning it.

But, dear Benbo readers, I'm curious: what makes you feel in your skin? I'm pondering as I type, and will post my answer in the comments.


In case you're interested in reading Mango Elephants in the Sun, you're in luck! A couple years ago it was out of print, but it looks like you can buy it here! Hooray!

11 comments:

hannah m said...

I feel in my skin:
*snuggling with Vivian
*on a Saturday night in the kitchen, cooking dinner with Vince (+ Viv), glass of wine in hand
*when I'm with a dear friend - walking, talking, eating, whatever
*in Mexico

Camilo said...

I feel in my skin:
*sitting in my backyard on a warm sunny day with my lovely wife watching the kids play
*running the at the dish
*riding my bike on a long ride
*enjoying a cold beer and some good food at Galeotti's

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

It is so hard to pass up IKEA's practicality.

Anonymous said...

Vivien looks lovely with her beautiful "hat". I think you picked butterflies for her. All special children should be given only to those who can love them the way they deserve. Even better, to surround them and their parents with as much love as possible. You are all loved very much. xxoo Aunt Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hannah,
I spelled Vivian's name wrong....with an "e". I am so sorry I know better and was shocked to read my message. Won't happen again. Can't find "nickname" option so I had to chose anonymous.
Love, Aunt Sharon

Sarah Markley said...

I feel most in my skin when am with my girls (and they aren't crazy).

And, I still love Ikea. =)

AmyK said...

I feel in my skin:
*spooning with my husband
*hugging, snuggling, hugging Elliot
*at home
*with friends

Long Live Ikea!

AmyK said...

OMG! I had to comment again...I LOVE the photo of the week! She is to precious for words - yummy, yum, yum!

AmyK said...

OK, I know there is something wrong with making 3 comments, but as I sit pumping I am re-reading your post (which I do often because they are so enjoyable to read) and I for some reason didn't notice the note under the photo until now. Dale had recently re-organized our books by color and alternating direction, it is so much fun to look at, though it can make finding a book a tad tricky ;) Cheers.

Auntie Sarah said...

i love that you organize your books by color! I like to organize my clothes by color! are we weird sisters or what?

Anonymous said...

I feel in my skin:
* when I'm out in nature alone with Sarah
* after reading Constructive Living materials (see todoinstitute.org - it's like my religion)
* at the beach