3.18.2008

Capturing Moments {Walking the Dish with Vivian}


1. The menacing hill - it doesn't look that menacing, but I assure you: It is. 2. Ground squirrel (one of thousands) 3. Viv's all set! 4. I don't particularly care for oak trees, but they're quite delightful this time of year! 5. Bird perched; Dish in background
6. Cloud Watching Society: Duck 7. Hawk on fence post 8. Almost to the top - I'm exhausted.


+ Hearing
birds chirp; airplanes fly; Viv's squeaks; my heart beat; my out-of-breathness; ground squirrels scurrying back and forth

+ Seeing hills covered with green grass; California poppies; hawks soaring; cows; a duck in the clouds; something in the distance that I thought might be a mountain lion, but it was just a bird perched on a log

+ Feeling almost instantly out of breath - walking these hills with a stroller is a total bear; hot and sweaty; an endorphin surge by the end

+ Wondering "Who are these people that run this loop? It's insanity! ( & I know at least a couple of you Dish runners read this blog - I bow to you!)"; "Will I make it?"; "How did I think this would be a nice stroll through the hills while pushing Vivian in a stroller?"

+ Lessons Learned 1. Don't eat protein before walking these hills-duh! It makes it feel like there's a brick in your tummy and feet. 2. Wear sunscreen on your arms. 3. The brisk walking you love so much is not possible while pushing a jogging stroller up hills. Accept that the loop will take you 25% longer with Viv in tow. And know that it's all worth it.

Walking partners welcomed. I dare you to push Vivian up that menacing hill. Double dare you.

6 comments:

Camilo said...

The DISH!!! What a great place to walk with Vivian, so beautiful and peaceful out there wouldn't you say?

My trick for running the dish is once I get up the initial hill, I go clockwise and have more downhill runs than up as I make the loop.

I'll look for you guys next time I'm there and stop and say hello!

hannah m said...

Camilo, The Dish is probably in my Top 5 Places I Love in the Bay Area. I have always done my best thinking there.
You are SO right about going clockwise - but yesterday when I got up that initial hill and thought I was going to PASS OUT, I turned right, not thinking about the fact that many, many uphills were ahead. Oops.
I'm at peace with the fact that I'll probably never jog the Dish, but I'm healthfully in awe of those who do!

Anonymous said...

I would love to join you! Do you think I would survive with the double stroller? hmmmm?

AmyK said...

I barely survived on my own, let alone a stroller...maybe a bjorn or carrier would be easier? Not sure, but would love to try.

hannah m said...

J- We could take lots of breaks. The double stroller (with two kids much bigger than Viv) could be a challenge...so we may just have to take ourselves out for a hot fudge sundae after.

A-I saw someone yesterday with a big-ish looking baby in a sling @ the Dish...but I remember thinking that would KILL my shoulders and back...Pushing a stroller made my thighs and butt hurt, but they need the workout!

Camilo said...

The double stroller we have is light weight and with the excitement of a new place, I know that Olivia and Diego would walk at least 1/2 way up the hill. Then you would only have to push the other 1/2 with the kids in the stroller. But like Hannah said, there's no rush, take a break along the way and before you guys know it, you'll be at the top!!

Hannah I know that you can jog the dish if you really wanted to! Just break it up into a jog/walk and before you know it you'll be jogging the entire loop!