A real-life-friend-who-blogs wrote a post on her blog a few weeks ago that really got me thinking. She pondered about time spent on the internet: reading blogs, posting, emailing; and if that energy might be better used to, say, write in a journal--like, one with paper. She asked her readers if they wonder, too.
Oh, yes, I wonder. Every day.
Every day I question myself and what I recognize is a little (okay, maybe not so little) addiction to reading blogs, writing Benbo posts, checking and writing email.
But at the end of this wondering and questioning I always come to an understanding with myself. That this blogging gig and its associated internet perusing, for now, serves a purpose. The positives outweigh the negatives.
+ It encourages me to capture little moments. Anais Nin said We write to taste life twice. Snippets of joy that might otherwise pass me by turn into a blog post about twilight walks or a delicious meal or another month of being Vivian's mom. And while I don't expect these little snippets to rock anyone else's world, it does me good to really notice them, and then write about them. Tasting these moments twice is a gift I give myself.
+ It gives me perspective. There's good in my life. Even though things are going differently than I ever thought they would. I know myself--I'm a big picture kind of girl. I'd likely look back on this first year of parenthood and say "It was full of joy and fear and sadness and learning." But within that, there are so many moments. Moments and details that I know I'd gloss over when remembering later. I want to be detail oriented when it comes to this sweet time that passes all too quickly. So, I do this blogging thing for Vivian, too. To one day share some sweet little details and big ideas about love and hope and faith in her young life.
+ It is creative. My favorite part of being a teacher was the creative stuff (though there's less and less of that in a lot of education...but that's another post, isn't it?). And now I need another outlet. I think being a parent is inherently creative, but it's good to have something creative waiting while she naps. Blogging is a forum for documenting my life by taking photos, writing, making connections between this thing and that thing.
+ It keeps me connected to people I care about. In all those months when we were hunkered down close to home with surgery looming, and even now, I can maintain connections to friends and family. It's amazing what reading a new comment on a post will do when I'm about to tear my hair out because Miss Viv won't eat (it's getting better though, FYI) or when I'm sick with worry--it reminds me that I'm not alone in this. That I have an incredible web of people who care and support and love. And that means everything. (So, thank you, dear Benbo readers.)
What do you think? Why do you blog? Or read blogs? What are your creative outlets?


15 comments:
Love the photo montage, and of course I love reading your blog!
i think at the end of the day it is the connection-aspect that keeps me doing this...i like the touchstone that it provides. i once had the thought that i shouldn't comment as much but i decided that the comment is the tangible proof of the connection. so, instead of just touching me quietly, i could reach back and say, hello. so, hello, dear friend, i am glad that you do this. i feel more connected to you. and because i can, right now, i will feel fortunate and continue.
I agree, Ang. It is the connection.
I was a blog reader before I was a blogger, and I didn't really understand til Benbo started that the reaching back and saying hello is so important. The reciprocation of a thought or a hello or a perspective is so appreciated, and, like you say so well, the tangible proof of that connection.
Hannah I am so thankful that you started blogging while Vivi was in-utero, and after she came into the world... to document the staggering range of emotions of the past 6+ months... Emotions that I know would have been much more difficult to share in person. Honestly, reading Benbo has helped me feel connected to your world; to what fears have gone through your mind, and what being a Mom is like (for YOU). I know putting those BIG emotions can just be easier when typing (faster than hand-writing), and also you are able to share your reality with so many more people at once. I am in awe of the fluidity of your writing- honestly, I think I need to take a class! or read more! because you have a great bank of words to describe your life. Thank you for your words. {It is the next best thing to visiting weekly}
hannah-
if you never would of started a blog we would have never reconnected. but I know what you mean, my blog..sometimes I just feel like I am just taking up more space...granted it is internet space.. but I had clogged up the world. but blogging makes me feel sane.
Hi Hannah,
Yours is the only blog I read. I find it wonderfully fulfilling to check in with you - via your blog - every couple of days or so. It makes me feel connected with you, and with your experiences. I feel honored that you continue to invite me to be touched by your life.
As is probably evident, I'm not drawn to blogging as a concept, but to YOUR blog, because it's yours and because I care about you.
xoxo Susan
greta, please say you'll keep blogging! i love seeing what fun the otts are up to! we should make t shirts that say "we blog to stay sane"
susan, thanks so much for reading benbo and for leaving such sweet and thoughtful comments while you're at it. it means a lot to stay connected to you, too!
sarah sista'
i love the comments you leave on benbo. you are the most terrific auntie to miss viv, and i love that you can keep up on the day to day things we do by reading our blog. love you.
oh, btw, i actually started benbo after vivian was born to keep people up to date on her progress--it's just evolved, and like greta said, keeps me sane!
I love your blog and I feel that I have learned more about you in the last 6 months than I knew in the 10 years prior! Not your fault - or mine; but your blog allows, probably forces you to write about your feelings and thoughts so much more.
It is part of the human condition to want to stay connected. If you were only writing in a journal, you are not sharing and promoting an exchange; I think it's quite different.
Yes, they say in our lives, we don't remember days..we remember moments. (who said that?) You are capturing some of the most precious moments of your life here. It is so valuable to you, to us and Vivian.
Write on, Hannah!!
I am look so forward to your words, your thoughts, the pictures of your family, my family. I learn from you. It is so worthwhile!!
You introduced me to blogs-yours is my favorite! I love that I can stay connected to you & learn about Miss Vivian's progress. It is sooo great that I can visit now and spend time with you both-but I still love reading your blog. You are a great writer & you write from the heart. It touches me and has really changed the way I look at the world. You have helped me slow down and capture the little moments of my day. Your blog will be a fabulous journal for Vivian. (and for you-it is amazing how quickly we forget) So thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts with us!
You introduced me to blogs-yours is my favorite! I love that I can stay connected to you & learn about Miss Vivian's progress. It is sooo great that I can visit now and spend time with you both-but I still love reading your blog. You are a great writer & you write from the heart. It touches me and has really changed the way I look at the world. You have helped me slow down and capture the little moments of my day. Your blog will be a fabulous journal for Vivian. (and for you-it is amazing how quickly we forget) So thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts with us!
Ahh! I don't know how/why my comment got published twice and I don't know how to remove it. Sorry!
I blog because it is the closest thing to publishing I have ever found... I have written all my life, I always wanted to share my thoughts with the world, but back in the 80's there was not such a thing like the blogs. So, there we go... I learned HTML code (the code behind the web pages) in the early 90's just because I wanted to publish whatever I was writing... later I tried to get my work published in one of the college magazines: REJECTED!... I guess my writings were not following the school's line of thought... so, blogging is my only way to share my thoughts with the world... perhaps somebody out there will find them useful... did I tell you I have 4 blogs and 4 web sites? but only 1 with my real name ;-)
Renato, I love that you love to write, and I love that you've been a blogger for so long! Are you going to share your 3 other blogs with me or are they secret :-) ?
Post a Comment