Valentine's day had new meaning for me this year.
As a teacher I loved February 14. There is little sweeter than twenty 5 and 6 year olds passing out valentines- reading their classmates' names, carefully written on cards, and helping each other remember where this kid or that kid's desk is. Absolute delight and love in the midst of chaos, a flurry of red and pink and smiles. Loved it.
But Vince and I always played it low key--order a pizza, have a glass of wine, exchange cards, eat some chocolate.
This year, with Vivian's heart having been through so much in a mere six months on this planet, and with our new mom and dad hearts having experienced the gamut of joys and sorrows, the significance of Valentine's day shifted for me. It was no longer a Hallmark day with overpriced flowers and abundant sugar. It became a day to celebrate strong, resilient and loving hearts; hearts that beat robustly, an essential cog in our anatomy, keeping our bodies and minds thinking and feeling and moving.
I know I said Thanksgiving would be "our" holiday (and last week I would have argued that Valentine's day is barely a holiday), but I'm rethinking the holiday pecking order around here. This was the best Valentine's Day ever.
Vivian's happy heart ; a valentine made by Grandma Laura; dinner

4 comments:
I love the Valentine made by Grandma and the little Valentine dressed in pink! If Vivian could tell you she would say that she is the "luckiest" to have you as her mama!! Glad you had a special day!
what lovliness - i love the new look!
What was for dinner? I just Adore that photo of Vivi! Im so sad I couldnt give her more hugs and cuddles this weekend- darn colds!
I hope Vivi's cough goes away soon so you can visit our new place soon! yay! love you sista
<3 S
Sarah, dinner was homemade ravioli with goat cheese and ricotta inside and parsley sauce; beet walnut salad; and molten mocha cakes--forgot to photograph those. Yum.
We'll see you soon- we can't wait!
Post a Comment