12.27.2007

Reading My Bookmark


I love using non-bookmarks as bookmarks. For years I used a photo of Vince taken at friends' wedding. He was squinting into the sun. I've also used a list of books I plan to read as a bookmark. These days I'm using a card from my dear friend Jen. It has a black and white photo of two young friends walking with their arms around each other.

Jen's card arrived from San Francisco the day before Vivian's surgery. It brought me to happy, comforting tears immediately. Because Jen is the kind of friend who can always make me feel happy and comforted. At first I had Jen's card in my purse and read it often, but once I started to read Eat Pray Love*, it became my new bookmark. A readable bookmark! Filled with words I can read over and over! Now, that is a perfect bookmark.


Some of my favorite words from Jen's card are:

Vivian chose you because you were the right person for the job. And she chose Vince to be her dad, because he was also the right person for the job. And we are all so lucky to have spunky, spicy Vivian. She is already a sister with many skills, and I can't wait to learn from her.

You do make every day special just by being my friend and I know you make every day special for Vivian just by being her mom.

Give her lots of kisses for me and maybe a nibble on a roll or two!
[Jen LOVES Vivian's ever-developing rolls of fat. Whenever Vivian's in Jen's arms, Jen is counting, admiring and enjoying Vivian's chubs. They are, after all, quite enjoyable.]

*More on this amazing read another time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friend Jen said great things...Vivian is so lucky to have you and Vince and we are so lucky to have Vivian! Thinking of you all.

Anonymous said...

You know I agree so much with Jen.
Kiss little Vivian for me and hang in there.
Love,
Olga

angie said...

I so agree with Jen - one wise woman :) I too use non-bookmarks. Right now in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn I have 13 dollar bills doing the job - less inspiring, though.