12.12.2007

Thoughts On Christmas


I love the idea of Christmas. Really, I do. But it's lost some its enchantment in recent years as I've aged, I guess. I hope to capture the Christmas ideas I love most and make them traditions that Vivian will hold dear. But these Christmas ideas have little to do with shopping or stressing or consumption or Santa Claus. They have everything to do with slowing down, being thankful, doing a little something creative and just enjoying.

I could have easily skipped Christmas this year. But I capitulated. I thought it would do me good to begin and continue some holiday traditions. So, I baked Aunt Augusta's sugar cookies, made homemade hot chocolate mix, bought and decorated a small tree, admired Christmas lights on twilight walks, sent out holiday cards and am listening to just enough holiday music.

8 comments:

AmyK said...

Way to go Hannah! I too love the idea and it most certainly gets lost! Filling your house with those wonderful aromas is exactly what you and Vivi need!

AmyK said...

My second thought (I hit publish to quickly). Let's reclaim Christmas! It will be a movement that will sweep the Nation...even the world!

hannah m said...

Amy, I'm in! I have to say, you & I are quite good at getting things done when we put our minds to something. Reclaiming Christmas, here we come!

Mindy and Tyler said...

Please, please, please post your cookie and hot chocolate recipes. So yummy!

Michele said...

Love the new header and this xmas photo montage! Can't wait to see you.

angie said...

i'm glad you didn't skip it - there is something so perfect about sitting in a room with the christmas glow from tree lights - i bet vivi looks darling in those lights (well, any lights!)

Heather G. said...

Cookies and hot chocolate were much enjoyed by me (and baby)! Thank you for not skipping the traditions :) Hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Love the Christmas card you sent out!! I am going to take it to school for all to see! I am also going to try some cookies with Olivia and Sophia during break- Olivia loves sugar cookies and these just look darling!! Thank you for sharing your Christmas traditions!