10.12.2007

Stormy Weather

When the summer leaves start to color and crispen and the days begin to cool and shorten, I always end up in the kitchen. Soups, bread, casseroles...anything warm and toasty that makes the whole house cozy and delicious smelling. So, on Vivian's two month birthday, when the wind started blowing leaves off the trees and a storm was clearly a-brewing, we enjoyed a comforting dinner of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.


For dessert, I whipped up an apple crumble. It was my first solo kitchen foray in a good while, and it was delightful (thanks to my dad for holding Vivi while I peeled, cored and sliced apples). Soon the house was filled with the intoxicating autumnal smell of cinnamon and apples. Fall always makes me daydream about living on an apple orchard (a la Baby Boom--remember that movie from the 80's?) but I'll have to make do with apple desserts baked in my suburban kitchen.

What does the changing weather inspire you to do?

Apple Crisp (from The Gourmet Cookbook, edited by Ruth Reichl--I love this cookbook! I made a half recipe, and just estimated most of the measurements--it still turned out great. Following is the full recipe. Don't skimp on the butter. I know it's a lot. But it's the magic to a crisp, yummy topping.)

Topping:
2 1/3 c. AP flour
3/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c. granulated sugar
3/8 tsp. cinnamon
3/8 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons, softened
1 1/3 c. pecans, toasted and chopped (I used walnuts)

Filling:
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
5 lbs. apples (I used Granny Smith)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a baking dish. For topping, combine dry ingredients in a food processor and blend. Add butter and pulse till mixture forms clumps (I didn't use processor, I just cut in the butter with a fork.) Work in nuts with your fingertips. For the filling, peel, quarter and core apples, then slice into 1/2" slices. Add to sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Spread apples in buttered baking dish. Crumble topping over them. Bake till topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Cool to warm. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream, of course!

4 comments:

Michele said...

This sounds tasty! We went apple picking a few weeks ago and made apple pie, apple tarte tartin and apple butter. It was so fun. Next time I'll have to try this recipe.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AmyK said...

The changing weather inspires me to slow down and enjoy a lazy day in PJ's!

Emily K said...

oh my gosh I LOVED the movie Baby Boom!! I haven't thought about it in years, though. It sounded so lovely, with the apples, the snow and peace and quiet. Didn't she end up opening her own applesauce/baby food canning company at the end?
I definitely want to make your apple crumble now! =)