There are so many ways to be a wonderful parent. Each family gets to choose their own path based on what works for them and their children. I feel so blessed that when I felt the pull to take a year off of teaching to be a mom, Vince was totally behind me. He was completely supportive of what I wanted--whether that be to continue teaching or dive into motherhood full throttle. Of course, it wasn't only about what I wanted, we created a shared vision for our family's life. And as we sail through uncharted territory, that vision may change.
Vivian is the first grandchild on both sides of our family. Seeing our parents become grandparents for the first time is a beautiful thing. We hear new tales about ourselves from long ago--tales that were until recently forgotten, or at the very least buried under dusty layers of life. I'm convinced that holding your baby's baby must be a bit of a time machine--something primal and inherently physical is rekindled. Grandparents go right back to the physicality of new parenthood: a rocking motion, a gentle tap, tap, tap on the back, the quiet words whispered. The same this time, only different. Distinguished by years of life experience that were absent last time round.
Becoming a parent helps you understand how much your own parents love you. People will tell you this before you enter parenthood, but it must be experienced to fully understood. And now that we're on this side of it, there's an extra connection that couldn't have been there before.
So, thank you, Mom, Dad and Lorraine, for making Vince and me who we are. For the love and worry and heartache and hope that has helped us to become the parents we are turning into. For giving us the strength and faith that we will be the parents Vivian needs us to be. She is so blessed to have you. And we are, too.


No comments:
Post a Comment