Yesterday I was swept away by my dear friend Amy. She secretly arranged babysitting with my mom and then invited me to go get a pedicure and a snack-cake. Oh, my goodness what a treat! My sad little feet, ravaged by sandal wearing all summer, were treated to a bubble bath, massage and "Yucatan If You Want" nail polish. Amy and I chat-chat-chatted with smiles all the way through our pedicures and then over coffee and yummies at Cafe Borrone. I returned to my little girl refreshed and revived. Amy brings out the best in me, and it was a blessing to remember I'm still the same girl I was three months or three years ago.
I've known Amy for seven years. We became fast friends when our respective then-boyfriends, Vince and Dale, introduced us. The four of us have been friends ever since. Amy and I backpacked around Europe together for six weeks (and she still loves me!) ; last summer we went for a girls' week in Mexico as a last hurrah before becoming moms; and we enjoyed the tradition of TNO (Thursday Night Out). We are masters at coming up with a fun plan and then following through! We are girls of action when we're together, and I love that about us.
Amy, Dale and now their son Elliot (born five weeks before Vivian) are part of our chosen extended family. We've shared vacations, fabulous food, off-color jokes, nights with one-too-many drinks, a healthy enjoyment of The Sopranos, tons and tons of laughter, coffee, marriage and now parenthood. They love Vivian, and we love Elliot. They are the kinds of friends we know we'll grow old with, talk about the "good ol' days" with and continue to create new memories with.
I know Amy will inspire Vivian to be an enthusiastic storyteller, with hand motions and a few "What was I saying?"s thrown in for good measure. When she's old enough, Amy will introduce Vivian to the virtues of a triple-short-half-caff-one-pump-soy-mocha. Dale will no doubt inspire great shoe choices, excellent taste in music and a skateboard trick or two in our dear daughter. I can't wait to see who Vivian and Elliot become, as we the parents continue to laugh, eat and be merry through life together.





5 comments:
Hannah you are so lucky to have dear friends like Amy! I think it is so special that your chillins' are close in age- they will always have someone to play with when you all get together for dinner and drinks!
Oh my! You really are my biggest fan ;) You have always been truly easy to love my dear Hannah and now so is your sweet Vivian! Our family is honored to be a part of yours! And we look forward to many more adventures! XOXOXO
good toe colors! i was thinking of doing mine brown the other day, but i couldn't find brown polish - sigh.
how fun. however, I am a little jealous... that vivi sure is a cutie.
Post a Comment