
One particular street is lined with ginkgo trees. I love this tree's fresh green leaves, shaped like delicate fans. And though I usually enjoy autumn and the newly blushing leaves on maple trees, the ginkgo's foliage is positively spring-like right now, and far more appealing than the crunch of jewel-toned leaves under my feet. I must be craving spring's renewal and rebirth.

Anyhow, my dad and I were pushing the stroller along, and I thought I smelled doggie doo. We checked the bottoms of our feet and noticed some small apricot-like fruit on the sidewalk...under a ginkgo tree! Looking up at this particular ginkgo, we were surprised to see its fresh greenery studded with charming clusters of creamy orange fruit. Huh. Who knew that ginkgos bore fruit? My dad and I didn't.
Sure that our shoes were doggie doo free, we walked on. But as we reached the corner, my dad turned to me and said, "You know, Hannah, I'm really curious about that ginkgo fruit. Let's go back. I want to try it." So back we went. I made my dad promise he wouldn't swallow the fruit, just in case it was poisonous. He picked up one of those precious little fruits and bit it. Oh, to have captured the look on his face. Clearly, this was not a fruit for eating. I asked to smell it and there was the doggie doo smell, emanating from a sweet little fruit.
After a little research, we found out that female ginkgo trees do bear fruit, and are generally banned from city landscaping for their "rancid butter" or "vomit" smells.
So keep an eye out for these lovely trees, but remember: I warned you about the durian of Silicon Valley.

1 comment:
Oh yuck! I can't believe he tasted it!
I heard the tree changes sex after a number of years, so you could start out with a male and end up with the stinky fruited female!
Post a Comment