9.06.2007

Hot in the Hot Tub

It's been mighty warm in these parts, or "hot in the hot tub" as you might hear me say. On the hottest of hot days last week, after a day of wearing a baby who radiates more heat than you would think is possible for a little thing, what does one make for dinner?

Vince had brought home two bags of spinach a few days earlier. After a few weeks of eating on-the-go, high-carb comfort food, our bodies were ready for some fresh, from the ground eats. I chastised Vince for bringing home two bags of spinach, thinking it would go bad before we could eat it all. But sometimes an abundant ingredient inspires the most delicious of meals.

Now, I married a man who can cook. Vince comes up with creative twists on a classic all the time. He doesn't usually even need a recipe. On this particular night he whipped up a simple salad that made my heart swoon. Not only was it beautiful to look at, but this salad had everything I love: sweet, salty and savory components that made the most perfect end to a "hot in the hot tub" day.

Moreover, cooking in the kitchen with Vince brought a familiar rhythm back to our as of late chaotic life. I have often said that a couple who cooks together, stays together. So, it felt wonderful to have our new little family together in the familiar setting of our kitchen, putting together a simple but fulfilling meal as we chatted about our days. These are the moments I have always treasured, and holding Vivian in my arms made me look forward to a lifetime of them.

"Hot in the Hot Tub" Spinach Salad

baby spinach
sliced tomatoes
fresh, crispy bacon (I have been so into bacon lately--weird!)
sliced hard boiled egg
sliced mushrooms
sweet and spicy pecans from Trader Joe's
balsamic vinegartette (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, whole grain mustard, salt & pepper)

7 comments:

Emily K said...

spinach salad? yum! You always were my partner in crime with the "Sweet and savory" foods. And taking a picture of your plate reminds me of looking at your honeymoon pictures... =)
I tried to picture you and Vince and Vivian in your kitchen cooking - until I realized I've never seen your house! boo! But the image I constructed around your story is still a mighty awesome one.

greta ott said...

just wait 9 months. when vivian is tangled in your legs and/or emptying all the drawers onto the floor, making dinner at home turns into an exercise in safety, focus and endurance. not so sweet, but funny.

hannah m said...

em, you've got to cone over! let's get that on the books--miss viv would love to meet you!

greta, you're right--in a short time kitchen life will be totally different!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I raised my boys in my kitchen and have such fond memories of little Vince "helping" Mom cook. Always curious and always hungry, I dare say this was Vince's favorite room in the house. After all, this was the room he had his first bath - in the kitchen sink! And sitting in his highchair in the kitchen, he spoke his first sentence "More juice please" while holding out his little sippy cup. He graduated to sitting on the counter where he licked countless mixing spoons full of frosting from the mixing bowl.
I loved to cook for Vince; he eventually became my #1 taster and my #1 critic.
Now Vince cooks for his family. Soon little Vivi will lick the mixing spoon with her Dad. And all is right in the world.

angie said...

bacon is the name of the day - we had BLT's for dinner!

greta ott said...

I just reread my comment and feel like the typical drunk uncle that shouts "love stinks" at a wedding.
The chaotic days that I endure I am certain will be looked back upon with the fondest of thoughts.
Little Vivian is so lucky to have such talented and loving parents.

Michele said...

I am definitely making this for dinner!