8.09.2012

Dear Vivian {5}

Oh, my heart.
You are five.
These are some things I want to remember about you right now:

You can spend hours pretending, imagining and planning : tea parties, birthday parties, doctor, school, restaurant, camping, house...I love to eavesdrop on your imagining.

You tell me you want to be a fairy princess when you grow up. (Ahem.  My inner feminist wonders where I've gone wrong?! When I ask what a fairy princess does, you say "Dance and go to balls!") Some days it's Super Girl instead.  Occasionally you say you want to be a teacher or a pediatrician or a mom.  In any event, knowing you makes me excited to see where this life takes you.

You ask a lot of questions.

You are usually flexible and roll with the punches.  You just asked if I'd set up your tent for quiet time.  When I said "Let's do that tomorrow!" you said, "OK!" 

You can also hit a wall at the drop of a hat - you get worn out and overstimulated and are just done (I get that).  The thing is, you often know when you need quiet time or a hug.  I'm so grateful for this emerging ability to know what you need and ask for it.  I want to help nurture this in you.


You ask to hear stories about when you were little, when I was little, when Daddy was little, when Luke was little.

You love your brother with your whole heart.  It's my favorite.


You're still my planner.  We've got the giant calendar going on the fridge, Seasonal to-do lists, talks about future travels to England and Hawaii and the forever question "What are we doing ______? (tomorrow, after quiet time, before swimming, etc.).  You love a schedule!


You remain a voracious reader.  Our weekly library trips and curling up with a good book are staples.  You love to change the names of the characters of favorite books to 'Vivian' and 'Luke' and change any pertinent details to make it about your life.



I celebrate all of you, Vivian : the fun, the silly, the sweet, the challenging, the exasperating, the loving, the exciting.  I'm grateful for the moments that feel like smooth sailing and the moments that push me to dig deeper and be better.  I love being your mom.  Really, truly.
xo
Mommy

3 comments:

David said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Vivian!!! I hope you are having the very nicest day of your life so far, and I also hope that we get to meet up again one day before you are all grown-up!

Victoria Nelson said...

Happy Belated Birthday to our sweet Vivian!!
We are so proud of you, and have so loved watching you blossom into the beautiful, happy, full-of-life little girl that you are!
Lots of love and hugs,
the Nelsons

aka-mama said...

happy birthday miss viv! Xoxo

I see so many cute birthday party details(I spy red bunting)-Hannah, can't wait to chat birthday planning.