1.03.2012

The Thing About Being an Adult

 

Today I watched Luke tear apart Vivian's room - he crawls everywhere now, pulls down toy boxes and tosses the contents aside piece by piece. Two weeks ago he sat mostly still, on a blanket my mom made for him, and I brought the toys to him.  Now he'll wave hello, raise his hands above his head as I say "soooo biiiiiig!".  It boggles my mind - all this growth and change that his young body and mind just does

A year ago Vivian was just learning to use her body in a whole new way: to walk on uneven surfaces, to stand still, to endure more intense physical feats.  Today she runs down the sidewalk and can make it (most of the time) the two blocks to the park.

The thing about being an adult is that most of the time, growth and change doesn't just happen by existing.  It's less physical and more about the head and the heart.  It requires me to be intentional.  And that can be really hard.

4 comments:

aka-mama said...

crawling?! watch out mama! boys move! how exciting!

Susannah said...

oh yes. so true- and why do our head and heart bruises heal more slowly than the bodily ones?

(love that pic)

AmyK said...

I never understood the phrase "sticks and stones..." because the as your friend Susannah has pointed out, the heart bruises do heal much more slowly. Love that J in J is here :)

Kristi said...

The last paragraph... brilliant.
As always, I love your insight and perspective. You always make me think better and deeper... with my head and heart.

The first paragraph reminds me of how often I felt completely blown away when Preston was a baby and early toddler. He would just "do" things naturally - - things we painstakingly worked on with Gracie (and still are working on).